Requirements for surface plate support? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you know the topography of the plate, you might want to "customise" the way you support it. e.g., if the plate is like a mountain, you wound support it on the corners.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    Was the crappy room built around the plate?

dee
    ;-D
    That room is one of the best in that old building. BTW the little white signs read: "This tool must be returned to the inspection bay at the end of each work day Mon-Thurs and by noon on Friday."

3. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That looks like Ted's plate over at Marena Industries. He has a nice shop.

5. Likes Cannonmn liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonmn View Post
    That room is one of the best in that old building. BTW the little white signs read: "This tool must be returned to the inspection bay at the end of each work day Mon-Thurs and by noon on Friday."
    i buy that...it just seems like there is no way to put the plate into the room, must have built it after the plate was in place

dee
    ;-D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    i buy that...it just seems like there is no way to put the plate into the room, must have built it after the plate was in place

dee
    ;-D
    My guess is he got the plate in this room, you should see how the way grinder is shoehorned into the shop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand the theory of the airy points but I have to ask shouldn't they be the same orientation as from the factory. In other words the single point at one end and the two other points should stay at the same end of the plate as they came from the factory. I would think reversing which end has which support might cause some bending of the plate so it was no longer in calibration.
    Bill D.

9. Likes Spencer in NH liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    My guess is he got the plate in this room, you should see how the way grinder is shoehorned into the shop!
    And these days vertical turret lathes spring up anywhere there's just enough space in the old building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I understand the theory of the airy points but I have to ask shouldn't they be the same orientation as from the factory. In other words the single point at one end and the two other points should stay at the same end of the plate as they came from the factory. I would think reversing which end has which support might cause some bending of the plate so it was no longer in calibration.
    Bill D.
    While in a perfect world airy point supports would be placed exactly as they were when the stone was (re) certified, as It is necessarily true that any stone must sag some due to its weight, that sag may not actually measurably affect stone surface trueness when the stone is not heavily loaded with additional parts and equipment. Using airy points oriented "north-south" may be of equal practical benefit to the same stone if oriented south-north. This can be confirmed by beam stiffness calculations and probably underlies thickness vs length standards as published for surface plates. (I tested this stiffness question with a metrologically well-equipped friend using a couple of plates in my shop which we checked when airy-point supported and then when propped by one corner and one edge---the anti-airy-point method. Despite good equipment and technique we could not measure a difference.

Where airy points may shine is when you place on the stone a piece of equipment that weighs a significant portion (pure guess of 10 to 20 % minimum of stone weight) on the plate. Then airy point support diminishes the total span between supports and thus diminishes plate distortion due to load bearing. So, exactly reproducing initial support points may not be as important as using some airy points of whatever orientation.)

I would love it if someone reproduced the experiment we did in my shop and reported either confirmatory or contradictory results. "Science" becomes more credible with repeated testing and becomes more credible with several independent confirmatory observations.

Denis
    Last edited by dgfoster; 07-09-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo

12. Likes cash liked this post