What's new
What's new

Research Interest and Demographics Survey

Our survey attempts to assess the true need of advanced retrofit kits to a standard machine vise. We would really appreciate it if you could fill out the following survey to allow us to investigate our concept further at no cost to you!
Survey: https://gatech.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3rY2HDVuiFMoQOV

The only reason you're getting me to fill out your survey is because I'm a Yellowjacket too.

In that vein, I will tell you that you're going to get a very, very harsh response from the folks here for simply joining up and posting your survey.

You'd do well to post a bit of an introduction, tell us about yourself, tell us what you mean by "advanced retrofit kits", tell us why you think there is a need in industry for this, WHAT industry you think needs it, etc.

Otherwise you're going to get a bunch of people accusing you of being a spammer, and you'll get basically no traffic to your survey.

Just my advice, take it or leave it.

THWG.

I'm trying to figure out what an "advanced retrofit kit" is? How would I know I need one if I don't know what it is?

If you click their link, they're talking about adding a motor to drive the lead screw to close the vise, with the option to pre-set a "holding force" (Torque on the screw? Clamping force? I dunno, they might not either) that the electric screw automatically closes to, as well as a real-time force meter so you can see clamping force as the vise closes, and the option to manually tighten the vise.

Sounds like a senior design project without clear definitions.

I only clicked the link because I went to Georgia Tech, too. I get why most people here won't. I figured I'd give them the chance to do a better job explaining themselves before everyone runs them off. They may not even come back... We'll see.

THWG.

The owner of a shop I worked at was a fulltime professor of aerodynamics at the University of Maryland. He told me about a pair of his grad students who came to him one day all excited about having proven mathematically that you could actually apply more torque with a wrench if you held it farther out on the handle. They actually believed their discovery was cutting edge.

Some years later I was persuaded to let a senior mech-e student—from the same school; my alma mater—spend a few days in my shop and observe. I found out his assignment was to determine how my manufacturing efficiency could be raised. I abbreviated my involvement after the second day when he stopped me and asked me to repeat a word I had just used in explaining an operation. Then he asked what it meant. The word was "chamfer." A senior, FFS.

I figured he'd end up in a substitute career but he's probably a VP at Tesla.

The owner of a shop I worked at was a fulltime professor of aerodynamics at the University of Maryland. He told me about a pair of his grad students who came to him one day all excited about having proven mathematically that you could actually apply more torque with a wrench if you held it farther out on the handle. They actually believed their discovery was cutting edge.

Some years later I was persuaded to let a senior mech-e student—from the same school; my alma mater—spend a few days in my shop and observe. I found out his assignment was to determine how my manufacturing efficiency could be raised. I abbreviated my involvement after the second day when he stopped me and asked me to repeat a word I had just used in explaining an operation. Then he asked what it meant. The word was "chamfer." A senior, FFS.

At one point, in my machining class it college, I had to yank a girl away from one of the machines as she was poking a spinning end mill with her finger, to "see if it was sharp". Lucky for the idiot it was running backwards. That was about the general intelligence level of the whole class, for the final project most of the class made a set of pin punches, I was designing and machining a gas operated paintball cannon. I'm pretty sure most of them never used a single one of those punches...

Perhaps he misheard you and was confused why you would put champers on the edges. :)

Our survey attempts to assess the true need of advanced retrofit kits to a standard machine vise. We would really appreciate it if you could fill out the following survey to allow us to investigate our concept further at no cost to you!
Survey: https://gatech.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3rY2HDVuiFMoQOV

There was an article in an engineering magazine a while ago now about a clamping force monitoring system being developed by Romheld.

Found it.

Industry 4.0 vice monitors clamping force

"The latest innovation, which extends the functions of the proven Hilma NC 125 machine vice, incorporates electronics that measure clamping forces in real time and compares them with pre-set target and limit values. The results are transmitted wirelessly to stationary or mobile receivers on which the associated app Hilma Process Control is installed."

If you click their link, they're talking about adding a motor to drive the lead screw to close the vise, with the option to pre-set a "holding force" (Torque on the screw? Clamping force? I dunno, they might not either) that the electric screw automatically closes to, as well as a real-time force meter so you can see clamping force as the vise closes, and the option to manually tighten the vise.

I only clicked the link because I went to Georgia Tech, too. I get why most people here won't. I figured I'd give them the chance to do a better job explaining themselves before everyone runs them off. They may not even come back... We'll see.

THWG.
Thanks for the better explanation of what they are trying to do. :cheers:

Sami's been a good boy and helped his fellow man

in reply to ''What would you say is your main complaint about common work holding methods?'' I put '' they keep coming out of the vice''

and to ''Please list your suggestions for improvement to the common work holding methods.'' I put ''buggered if I know''

and finally in the comments box I put ''you really don't want to know.''

P.S, Oh yeah, nearly forgot I said I'd try it (if it's crap it's still weight as scrap)

Last edited:

Back