What's new
What's new

Resharpen carbide end mills

RJT

Titanium
There was a post recently that several replied to on where they get carbide end mills sharpened, but I can find it with the search function. The shop I used has closed (owner retired) and I have tried several with little success. I need 4 -5 -6 flute 3/8 - 3/4 varimills sharpened and concentric with the shank within .001 and a small (.010 - .015) corner rad or chamfer . Any recommendations?

I used to sharpen end mills and the like but now mostly retired except for one high paying special..

But it seems there should be a few sharpening shops in your town..Often you can just do the ends on a surface grinder leaving the OD alone and get good service from them. That way the OD size is retained.

You can wrap them each in a slip of paper and UPS them to a sharpening shop. We did have a fellow on PM advertising for end mill sharpening.

tool cutter sharpening greensboro, northcarolina - Google Search

Rough idea of cost for an example cutter? Say, a single end 1/2" four flute, end and diameter not too damaged?

Looks like $9.44 for 1/2 uncoated standard endmill, 1" long
also, for 1/2 AlTiN variable flute 1.25" long (usually HTC hotmills), $20.50 with the coating

Those prices are for od and ends.

Seems like there might be cheaper out there, and not sure if my boss has shopped around, but he likes them. Pack up a big box of tools that THEY provide, they sort em out, and they come back bagged, labeled, etc. Which is real important for when we send them 40lbs of <.500 drills.

I have approximately 3000$ or so worth of endmill regrinds out with them at the moment, actually, which I expect to have back within a couple weeks from now (sent maybe 2 weeks ago). I will say it takes about a month for them to give em back, but I did give them about 200 endmills and a ton of drills...

Back