What's new
What's new

resharpening annular cutters

DanielG

Stainless
I need some annular cutters resharpened. A mix of Fein/Slugger and CS Unitec. A few of the longer ones need to be changed into stack cutters.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I could split them up and send them back to the manufacturers for sharpening, but I thought people here might have a better option.

Check with a local tool grinding house. It's not that hard for them to do.

Annular cutters like to find an excuse to break IME.

Ya can't sharpen 'em then......:crazy:

I did a terrible job searching posts last time, looks like Quality Tools & Sharpening in Iowa comes highly recommended by PM'ers

I just had a number of annular cutters and endmills sharpened by Gruschow Grinding in upstate New York and I was very pleased. Might be a bit closer to you.

I just had a number of annular cutters and endmills sharpened by Gruschow Grinding in upstate New York and I was very pleased. Might be a bit closer to you.

Interesting, that's who I used too. I'm happy to refer them.

They do a great job, but we went to someone closer for conveniences sake....

Most people may know this but I'd like to share, DO NOT DRILL RUSTY STEEL, take a few minutes to grind the rust off or you'll dull out a new bit.
This is also true for band saw blades to some degree as well.

Naw...you run it in reverse for the first contact, takes that rust/scale right off, and hones the cutting edge….:D

Naw...you run it in reverse for the first contact, takes that rust/scale right off, and hones the cutting edge….:D

Well In fact that might work for freshly sharpened cutters:D
These tend to break,not the blunt ones, as they tend to dig in
Just like new saws have to be sawn in these cutters also have to be cut in

Peter

To follow up on this topic, I sent them out to quality tool and sharpening in Ohio and was very impressed. Good pricing, quick turnaround, and he even got me some not-in-the-catalog-anymore 26mm x75mm cutters from Evolution and made them stack cut.

I used to do them and they are easy. Don't know of I still have all the gear. Agree any decent cutter shop can do them. Trick is to get the clearance right. Because they axial feed like a drill they need more clearance likely 9* minimum. I forget now what new cutters have.
First time I did them they were cutting armor plate at about 8 or 10 parts before going dull. I added about 3* clearance, increased the feed, and slowed the speed and got up to about 60 holes per sharpening. actually saved the job and it was a government job so a good customer. Job would have had to be done at any loss of money.

Hougens were very popular in Michigan.

how much are you guys typically paying for a dozen or so re-grinds? anything from 1/2-1 1/2 or so typically for me... lots of 1"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike conveniently posts his pricing, which is a refreshing change from most places

Quality Tools and Sharpening

RESHARP RATES:
Cutter Size (Diameter) High Speed Steel Carbide Tipped
up to 1.250" $9.00 $12.00
1.251 to 2.0" $11.00 $14.00
2.001 to 3.0" $13.00 $16.00
over 3.0" $15.00 $18.00
3-5 day turn-a-round on most orders!
Free shipping on orders of 25 or more cutters!
(UPS Ground Service)

No setup or hidden charges!
(Call about “cutoff “charges of broken cutters, and 1-1/4” Weldon shank cutters)

I used to do them and they are easy. Don't know of I still have all the gear. Agree any decent cutter shop can do them. Trick is to get the clearance right. Because they axial feed like a drill they need more clearance likely 9* minimum. I forget now what new cutters have.
First time I did them they were cutting armor plate at about 8 or 10 parts before going dull. I added about 3* clearance, increased the feed, and slowed the speed and got up to about 60 holes per sharpening. actually saved the job and it was a government job so a good customer. Job would have had to be done at any loss of money.

Hougens were very popular in Michigan.
Mind if I ask what machine you used to sharpen them? There is nobody local to me that does a good job of this so I'm looking into adding the service to my shop.

Back