What's new
What's new

Resource to identify carbide insert?

cj7jeep81

Aluminum
I got an Ingersoll Rand max-i-cut 2" indexable endmill at an auction with a bunch of other stuff I wanted, but several of the inserts are chipped. I've searched and found nothing, and emailed Ingersoll Rand, but no answer. Here is an eBay ad for the one I have, any ideas what inserts it uses? It has 2 different sizes, but look to be the same shape (one is just about twice as long as the others).

Ingersoll 2" Indexable Milling Cutter 26J1K281R1 (LOC2886B) | eBay

And here's another Ingersoll mill that also looks to use the same style inserts.
Ingersoll ≈3" Milling Cutter 1.25" 26J1L358R1 17889 Q (LOC195B) | eBay

I messaged the seller, but haven't heard back yet. Any help would be appreciated!

Of course, shortly after posting I find some stuff that makes me think they are CDE inserts, right hand, and I'm guessing 322 for the smaller ones, and 422 for the bigger.

I think you have an orphan. Ingersoll is heavily into proprietary insert shapes and short-lived product lines.

The 26J1 cutter family isn't in Ingersoll's 2016/2017 or 2013/2014 milling catalog. From the photo, I can't tell if the longer inserts are quasi-standard L-style (in which case you might be able to find inserts if you take careful measurements of the existing ones), Ingersoll's proprietary TRG-style (which are still used on their TEDI-FEED line of cutters), or something else entirely. The closest thing I could find were Ingersoll's DCM-style inserts, from their discontinued PRO-TRIO line of insertable roughing ball cutters.

Obviously, all the inserts on your cutter are of the tangential cut flavor, but the wedge-like cross section of the smaller ones makes me think they were proprietary. The lack of anything similar in Ingersoll's two most recent milling catalog makes me think they are discontinued. When I say "lack of anything similar", Ingersoll still offers several roughly-rectangular tangential-cut inserts, but none of them look like the ones on your cutter. And all of the ones Ingersoll offers are totally proprietary.

I think you have an orphan. Ingersoll is heavily into proprietary insert shapes and short-lived product lines.

The 26J1 cutter family isn't in Ingersoll's 2016/2017 or 2013/2014 milling catalog. From the photo, I can't tell if the longer inserts are quasi-standard L-style (in which case you might be able to find inserts if you take careful measurements of the existing ones), Ingersoll's proprietary TRG-style (which are still used on their TEDI-FEED line of cutters), or something else entirely. The closest thing I could find were Ingersoll's DCM-style inserts, from their discontinued PRO-TRIO line of insertable roughing ball cutters.

Obviously, all the inserts on your cutter are of the tangential cut flavor, but the wedge-like cross section of the smaller ones makes me think they were proprietary. The lack of anything similar in Ingersoll's two most recent milling catalog makes me think they are discontinued. When I say "lack of anything similar", Ingersoll still offers several roughly-rectangular tangential-cut inserts, but none of them look like the ones on your cutter. And all of the ones Ingersoll offers are totally proprietary.

Yeah, I might be out of luck, thanks for the info!

Gotta be honest, I didn't even realize that IR was still around.

its actually Ingersoll Cutting Tools

Ingersoll Rand was and has been something completely on its own.

Ingersoll Machine Tools and Ingersoll Cutting Tools were 1 entity up untill the late 90's i believe, even shared the same campus gounds in Rockford Illinois

Back