What's new
What's new

Reverse vise for VMC? Do you people use them?

ferrretcatcher

Aluminum
I'm working on some small projects on my new to me Mori MV55 and I am working with offsets like normal. I have more than a few setups and will have to change my coordinates for varying stock sizes. I could use the far fixed jaw on my normal vise but I have to work in the -y coordinate then. Did a little searching and found this - hopefully the link works

TEGARA 660Ur Reverse Cnc Milling Vise .0004 3600V 3610V NEW R[ | eBay

I know its probably a Shars or some off brand I haven't heard of but it looks to be of decent quality from the pictures and descriptions. This would allow me to always work in the positive coordinates and have a fixed jaw to reference off of for different stock sizes. Possibly would a double vise work either? I have never used a double vise so I don't have any experience with them. There's no robing on this machine either. Is it a good idea, or junk I shouldn't bother with? What say ye?

i use regular vises all the time, so im not sure what exactly the draw is to a reverse one. i also use double vises quite often and they are very handy for certain things.

Unless you're typing in coordinates manually, which I pray you're letting your CAM do for you, I can't see where working in the all positive quadrant makes any difference at all.

I have nothing against reversed jaw vises, and I plan on getting some for my pallet machine. The location pin arrangement on the bases places the vises in a better position on the tables then it does for the normal ones. Doing it to change quadrants was not part of the thought process.

Using dual vises is a great way to add capacity to any setup. Currently I can run up to 5 vises per pallet table for 20 discreet work stations. Although along with that comes the need for equally as many work offsets. You have to work out what works for you. It can get complicated and confusing at first because of the fixed jaws being in mirrored positions. Over the years I've programmed in a number of ways. One being programming the vise as a two station whole with a fixed known distance between jaws and sharing only one work offset. You can also end up programming two parts mirrored or rotated 180 degrees from each other. All of these will work to increase the amount of programming needed. Most of the time now I'm programming to the center of the part, at least in Y. Probing the part or fixed vise positions and offsetting the work offsets from there. That way one set of tool paths can operate in any vise position, but still keeps its reference, albeit sometimes remotely, to what may be a reference corner or feature in the part drawing. It can also depend on the complexity and tolerance(s) on the part. Referencing the fixed corners of the vises and programming to the part center and adjusting for that (without in process probing) can work on many things too.

The vise you linked to doesn't look half bad from here. If they're made in Taiwan they should be pretty descent. I have some GS branded dual stations from there that have worked well for a long time.

there be reasons . an existing program using a corner or feature as a reference comes to mind , where i don't
want to reinvent the wheel. i may not even have that pos software , or it was "provided" for me.

where's
part zero?

it would be nice if many vises were reversed

or vices were virtued?

I like them and have used them in machines which have a longer "reach-in" just to minimize the stretch. I also like them for programming at the control.... Avoiding the (-) keystrokes.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I like them and have used them in machines which have a longer "reach-in" just to minimize the stretch. I also like them for programming at the control.... Avoiding the (-) keystrokes.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Knowing what I do now, that's all I'd buy and for that reason.

I use reverse vises all the time. Shorter reach is the big reason. Mounting the part closer to the front edge of the table compared to the back is a nice thing.
I set up Orange 16" as reverse and it's super nice. Some people set them up "normal" and have to use a longer socket or extension, not needed with reverse setup.
As others have said, double vises are super handy. I have a few Orange 6" by 16" long, kind of my favorites. I have a couple of Glacern 4" double vises that can also be set up as reverse or standard, and great for shorter work. The new Chick One-Lock come set up as reverse, very useful too.
What would we do without vises? Yeah fixtures, but vises are so darn handy - and one can use them to hold fixtures!

I have several of the GMT version of the same vise. They are great vises.
Main reasons I use:
No stupid flange around the base.
Can bolt down through the base with no clamps hanging off the sides.
Shorter reach (as mentioned several times already).
And, chips blow out the back of the vise. Rather than out the front all over your lap.

I have an old Quad-I-Vise like this. I don't care for it much. The claimed coordinate system sign advantage is a non-issue. Since I mostly use standard Kurt vises, I have on occasion picked up the wrong jaw when setting work offsets on the Quad. The only really useful feature for me is the ability to plop the thing on its side.

I'm working on some small projects on my new to me Mori MV55 and I am working with offsets like normal. I have more than a few setups and will have to change my coordinates for varying stock sizes. I could use the far fixed jaw on my normal vise but I have to work in the -y coordinate then. Did a little searching and found this - hopefully the link works

TEGARA 660Ur Reverse Cnc Milling Vise .0004 3600V 3610V NEW R[ | eBay

I know its probably a Shars or some off brand I haven't heard of but it looks to be of decent quality from the pictures and descriptions. This would allow me to always work in the positive coordinates and have a fixed jaw to reference off of for different stock sizes. Possibly would a double vise work either? I have never used a double vise so I don't have any experience with them. There's no robing on this machine either. Is it a good idea, or junk I shouldn't bother with? What say ye?

When I worked for a major MTB we had one of those. I liked it alot as I prefer to program "positive."

That non-reversed Y axis thing is only one reason for these vises.

Think about, then measure the deflection on the fixed jaw of a traditional vise....
That fixed jaw is hanging on the end of a long vise body, and leveraged to guaranty flex.
The vise jaw body is under twisting, tensile loading.

The vise body on the reverse vise is under... Hardly any stress.
The screw is under tensile stress, not side loaded.
The fixed jaw/body has the clamping forces balanced between the screw and the force against the fixed jaw.
Overall, so much more accurate.

Having the parts right up front is a HUGE deal on a 2,000 part run!!

Once I got some Quad I vises, I never used the Kurts again for almost anything.. Ever.

Regular vises should be outlawed.

Back