What's new
What's new

Reviews for 4-flute rougher/finisher such as Onsrud 60-715 used on HDPE

sf74cam

Plastic
Was wondering if anyone had experience with a 4-flute rougher/finisher like Onsrud 60-715 on hdpe... I will do my own trials but would welcome feedback from those who have used this type of tool... good finish? Does it really do an adequate job in 1 operation pass that currently takes 2 operations?
Thanks

$ overkill. You need to define PASS. 3 diameter deep cutouts? 2? Just profiling an edge? Because that cutter will clog at 3D deep. 2 flute made for aluminum is what I would start with. HSS or carbide. I do a lot with HDPE. Enough to almost fill an 8 yard dumpster with swarf every 2 weeks.

$ overkill. You need to define PASS. 3 diameter deep cutouts? 2? Just profiling an edge? Because that cutter will clog at 3D deep. 2 flute made for aluminum is what I would start with. HSS or carbide. I do a lot with HDPE. Enough to almost fill an 8 yard dumpster with swarf every 2 weeks.

Thanks for the insight... 1) Yes it would be 3 diam deep cuts at times 2) By Pass, or operation... I meant our normal approach is a roughing pass with a 3-flute hogger and then a finishing pass with a 2-flute upcut spiral... for various depths of hdpe lumber. The thought with this tool is the feasibility of combining those 2 passes/operations into 1 effectively...thus saving a bunch of time.

A lot depends if you are cutting out parts from full sheets, or trimming around a part that is sawn to rough size. 3D deep full cutouts will have a hard time getting chips out with .5". Maybe HP air blast. Using a plain jane .75 HSS 2FL emill will easily cut 2D deep full cutter width cutouts. HSS will not give you the life of carbide in HDPE. I get maybe 15 years for some cutters, BEM maybe 5 years.
There is no problem profiling around a part with either cutter because the chips have an easy exit.

Back