What's new
What's new

RIIC Laboratory Hydraulic Press, searching for the correct oil

laminar-flow

Stainless
I recently purchased a RIIC, Research and Industrial Instruments Company London England, laboratory press. The oil is low and I need to add some. It seems like 10 or 20 weight oil, like something that would be used on a jack or press, but I would like to further identify what it is. My concern are for the seals if I used the wrong oil.

There is still some in it. Any way to determine the type of oil based on examining the old oil?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 106
You can send it out to a lab with a analyzer. What that costs I don't know.

Or you could just get some shell tellus in the weight you think you need. I don't think you will have any problems. Just don't dump any automatic trasmission fluid in it. Had a truck that I used automatic transmission fluid in the power steering, common enough, never had a problem before doing this. Well I should've checked because it ate up the seals. However you probably would have no problem, in my trucks case the seals were made to where the detergents in the atf reacted.

Another option would be to go buy a bottle of mineral oil at the local Walgreens or CVS pharmacy.
Instruments like this may be too sensitive to automatic tranny fluid or even regular ISO hydraulic fluid.
Ken

ISO 22 hydraulic jack oil?
DTE 22, Velocite 10 or Tellus 22 ISO 22 Spindle/turbine oil (~SAE 5W)?

DTE 24 DTE Light or Tellus 32 ISO 32 R&O/hydraulic oil (~SAE 10W)?

Comes down to mfg’s recommended viscosity/weight.

Back