What's new
What's new

RIP John Stevenson

TGTool

Titanium
I just saw this this morning on another forum

Hello everyone,

John passed away in his sleep earlier this morning.

While waiting in the departure lounge, he enjoyed listening to the many messages on here, managing the odd smile and comment as he wondered in and out of consciousness.

Deborah and his family would like to thank all of you for your kind comments.

Ketan

I really enjoyed his humor, appreciated his contributions and was in awe of some of the repairs he pulled off as though it was just a trivial, routine job.

He wasn't one that I got to know here but I have seen many of his posts over the years ,he was one of the closer members geographically .May he rest in peace.

And I'll salute him with one of his contributions.

Originally Posted by John Stevenson
Hindsight No2.

Been welding for ages or so it seems, gas , stick then followed by MiG.
Then followed by big MiG's and even bigger MiG's.
Read all the books, talked to the experienced hands and soon got in their ways.
Sod what the book says about gas pressure, turn the wire feed down, put the torch to your ear and set gas pressure based on experience [ rapidly growing ] wind speed, time of the month, and a bit of ear of bat, tongue of newt and it works a blast.

That used to it that it soon becomes second nature.

Then TiG enters into the affordable realms of the home shop. Got to have three halfpence worth of this.
Get the books read up on how it works, get the sales blurb and read all about AC/DC, then get the right books and it all makes sense when you get the right AC/DC [ Can you really do that with all those chains and rubber?? ]

Down to the local welding shop full of this new found knowledge and order the latest all singing, all dancing TiG welder and up the gas contract to cover a bottle of argon.

Then comes the great day, connect up to the mains, polish the case.
Connect up to the gas, polish the case. Connect the torch, polish the case, I know but we have all been there........

Look around for some alloy scraps to turn into masterpieces of fabrication [ well will do after I have hidden the first 100 or so ]

Switch on, no wire feed to worry about, adjust gas, torch to ear, press trigger.

JESUS H CHRIST WITH A FLAT TYRE, 4,000 volts AC shoot from the torch to my lughole, across my shoulder and down my back, thru my boot and across the road to a No 52 bus stop.

Yes I know a TiG carries dual voltage, I did read the book, I do understand how they work.
I'm a moron.............................

Well it was funny in hindsight............

No one quite like him, more's the pity.

As I wrote elsewhere, I am greatly saddened by this. John will be missed. We corresponded a little over the years. Mostly about gears. Some times that wandered into other things, but not oft. I have always admired his "get to it" straight forward and practical approach to work, as well as his willingness to help others out with what knowledge he had acquired over the years. I will miss his acerbic wit. The world is a poorer place, today.

May he rest in peace. I wonder if you can have a home shop in heaven. Wouldn't seem like heaven if you couldn't.

We have lost too many good ones here and this just has to stop. I am taking a pledge not to die and recommend all of you do the same.

Seriously, I will remember him in my prayers.

RIP John.

P.S. I can picture him and Mark McGrath sitting on a cloud being waited on hand and foot by a bevvy of angels, while they have a good old fashioned Scot's V English needle session. :)

Well that is some fucked up news. What is it with all these really helpful practical people dying so young.

He was up high on my list of people I respect. His work was so practical and he did not fuck around getting a thou when ten would do the job.

Sad news for sure.

very sad. One of the great guys on this and many other forums - integrity, humour, personality, innovations, helpfulness and skills

Just catching this sad news. Mr. Stevenson was a classic and he will be missed. His knowledge, vast at that, goes with him. When I get to the big shop in the sky I'll look him up in the Planer / Shaper department. Rest it piece.

I'm also late to learn this. John was incredibly clever in solving machining/fabrication problems, continually adopting new tech (often on a budget), and ever willing to share his experience. Add to that his humor. Really sorry to hear he's gone.

Late for me too, and very sorry to hear it.
John was such a literate person, or at least lyrical in most of the posts he wrote, in a comfortable shop worn way.
I've been thinking about him a lot lately, (wihtout knowing he was gone) in relation to a ptoential project based on some of his posts about gear cutting, especially gear generating by rolling the work under a straight sided cutter.

smt

Back