What's new
What's new

Rivnut mandrels (where to buy?)

pcm81

Cast Iron
I have a hydraulic rivitter / rivnut setter tool from FSI. I was not able to find on FSI website a place to buy additional mandrels. Can someone suggest other tools and mandrels that would fit FSI-D-100-1 tool? The mandrels mount to the pulling shaft with a 1/4x20 left hand thread. I like the FSI tool, just want to buy additional pull-up mandrels that would mate to it.

This is what the tool lookslike:
eBay - Page Not Found

Thanks ahead

A couple years ago I bought repair parts for my hydraulic tool directly from FSI. Try to find the company web site or search on line for their phone number.

..I actually emailed them couple of days ago, but have not heard back. Figured they do not deal with private folks...

You are probably correct. I have purchased all the rivnut accessories for my D100 gun from McMaster, although I have also sent my gun in for repairs directly to FSI.

You are probably correct. I have purchased all the rivnut accessories for my D100 gun from McMaster, although I have also sent my gun in for repairs directly to FSI.

In addition to 1 tool i have, I just scored on ebay 3 of these tools in "non-working" condition for $80 shipped. Probably just empty of oil. Now need to find a place to get the missing parts like O-rings, bladders etc.

I also bought a metric mandrel from mastercarr. I'll report back if it fits the tool.

When I contacted them I had trouble getting through by email. I finally called them. I got great service.

Apologies if I misread the question, it’s Christmas night, is this for production or repair/low quantity/less than aerospace spec rivnut installs?

Many industrial companies are old fashioned.
Which means that, unlike Amazon, they dont have hundreds of young techies constantly updating their websites.
In fact, there are a ton of manufacturing suppliers that dont even have websites.

You need to call, on the phone, and talk to a person.

Seems 19th century, I know, but its pretty common.
If you make, say, perforated metal, and sell 80% of your output to the same ten customers, the idea of having online ordering is just not on your radar.
I end up still, in this day and age, dealing with a fair amount of companies like this, and have found that old fashioned telephone persistence works best.

Just heard back from FSI via email. I guess they are short on work... I got a reply from a VP of the company basically stating that they do not sell individual parts and that i'd have to send the tool in for estimate. I was asking to buy a bladder O-rings and a plastic cover...

To answer another question posted in this thread: This is a mil spec tool used for aircraft field repair. It's good stuff. In my particular case it is for home use.

A little "not proper" repair tip for the community. Grease is made by mixing oil with liquid soap. If your manual hydraulic tools are leaking and you have refilled them before, then you can try to add a little bit of liquid soap to the oil you are using to refill the tools. This will create thicker oil / very light grease, which may stay in the hydraulic cylinder until you can properly repair it. Naturally do not do this for high speed hydraulics which heat up and be prepared to loose any warranty on the tool.

A mandrel from mcmaster shipped in today. Happy to report that it fits the tool. Afraid to look at my bank account... they did not let me choose which shipping method I want to use, I ordered yesterday and mandrel shipped in today... afraid to even think how much shipping they will charge me...

A mandrel from mcmaster shipped in today. Happy to report that it fits the tool. Afraid to look at my bank account... they did not let me choose which shipping method I want to use, I ordered yesterday and mandrel shipped in today... afraid to even think how much shipping they will charge me...

I'd guess somewhere between $8-$15 depending on where you are located.

Back