What's new
What's new

Robin Renzitti has a new interesting precision grinding video

howieranger

Aluminum
Robin shows how to fixture a small cylindrical grinding process. The part about using an intermediate hub to reduce movement of the part when tightening the holding bolt was an AHA moment for me.

Some of us have been using washers since we were less than 5 years old, what is it with the never ending thing about youtube videos of just standard practises being made into something magical?

Some of us have been using washers since we were less than 5 years old, what is it with the never ending thing about youtube videos of just standard practises being made into something magical?

The availability and speed of spreading human knowledge is what has propelled the world forward since the dawn of time, and the birth of the internet has propelled us forward at a speed we have never known. Some grumpy old machinist knows how to do everything, doesn't do one tiny bit of good if he never tells anyone.

Ok, fair enough i guess not everyone had mecano. My fault, theres me assuming again that people actually do something else other than just breast feed till they go out to get a job at 21. Should really know to set my expectations of fellow humans far far lower from now on, just i kinda assumed around here most people here would not try and use a bolt with out a washer on a clamping application.

Guess i was just a early developer huh?

WTF...? Twelve minutes to see a guy use a Ryobi drill to spin a little piece of steel?

Yeah and for less than a tenth of that cost he could have just used a motor and gear box combination of ebay that mounts with but a couple of simple holes screws and maybe intermediary spacers under thoes screw heads too!

So your assumption is everyone already knows everything? So all professional machinists have exactly the same knowledge about how to do everything?

Do you see how stupid that sounds?

How about letting people who are actually trying to put useful information out there to increase the overall knowledge level do so. It hurts no one and can help anyone if it happens to be something they didn't know.

Never seen anyone come out against teaching and learning. Ridiculous.

Ok, fair enough i guess not everyone had mecano. My fault, theres me assuming again that people actually do something else other than just breast feed till they go out to get a job at 21. Should really know to set my expectations of fellow humans far far lower from now on, just i kinda assumed around here most people here would not try and use a bolt with out a washer on a clamping application.

Guess i was just a early developer huh?

mecano has nothing to do with what he is sharing in that video, not all washers are made equal and not all then serve one purpose in a single way, the video is what the name suggests, a quick tip explained in detail that can get someone less experienced out of a bind

the guy is spending a lot of time doing those videos, some of them are long, but he goes into a lot of detail about how and why he is doing things, and most of those things are not something you learn with a toy set of even in tech school, so I wouldn't diss his vids unless I have something better to offer

There is having a skill.
Then there is the ability to teach skills.

These are two different things. The tricks you do in the shop are great *for you,* but they have no applicability to me if I'm not learning from them (or one of your customers who benefits from them in lower part price and/or higher quality).

I have absolutely no basis to know how good a machinist John Saunders, Tim Lipton, or Robert Renzetti are, but they put their bag of tricks out for everyone to see, which makes them way more valuable to folks learning this ballgame than the finest toolmaker in the world working behind closed doors.

I like Robin's videos. Most of the stuff he does the same way I would do, but every now and then I learn something - as I'm sure he would say if many of us made videos like he does. I only have one critique for this vid. The indicator needle was doing an awful lot of bouncing - and I noticed that he had the work rotating so the motion was pushing into the indicator stylus. I have noticed a big correlation between this and needle bounce when indicating. I always try to set up an indicator so that the motion is directed such that it would be pulling the stylus in tension instead, and this removes almost all the bounce.

Yes,I also knew everything that he was explaining,but I have been doing this for 60 years. I still found his clear presentation and excelent sound and camera work VERY WORTHWHILE.I have a you tube channel,and have tried to make some decent instructional videos.IT AINT EASY. Edwin Dirnbeck

Then there is the ability to teach skills.

I have absolutely no basis to know how good a machinist John Saunders, Tim Lipton, or Robert Renzetti are, but they put their bag of tricks out for everyone to see, which makes them way more valuable to folks learning this ballgame than the finest toolmaker in the world working behind closed doors.

showing us your bald spot while you drone on, and on, and on, about how some jackass sent you some trinket isn't really teaching anything to anybody, except how not to do it.

having said that, robrenz HAS gotten a lot better.

yeah, yeah, pipe down there, I WILL show y'all how it's done.. soon!!

showing us your bald spot while you drone on, and on, and on, about how some jackass sent you some trinket isn't really teaching anything to anybody, except how not to do it.

having said that, robrenz HAS gotten a lot better.

yeah, yeah, pipe down there, I WILL show y'all how it's done.. soon!!

It's a free country, you can fast forward through all the useless fan mail bullshit (which last I checked, Renz doesn't do any of that claptrap).

Teaching, shooting video, and editing it is a fucking hard skill, right up there with doing precision machine work. People spend lifetimes mastering it as a craft the same way try to master whatever facet of manufacturing we are into.

It's a fucking gift that a handful of people overlap their machining skills with the aforementioned media skills, and have the balls to put that work up on the internet where every old codger asshole can get on their confabulator and bitch critique over their shoulder.

If it was not for them, the entirety of the world of manufacturing would be locked away (and perhaps even on the decline) behind the closed doors of big shops and short-time small shops. These skills are NOT being taught in apprenticeships anymore, they are NOT being taught in many community colleges, and they definitely are NOT being taught by arrogant codgers who wanna do nothing but shit on everyone who isn't them.

Attacking those that are trying to help better this trade with any bit of information they deem valuable is a childish attempt at hiding ones lack of self confidence or undeserved ego. I implore any of you that feel you might make a better video to do so. I'm sure you also have something of value you feel others should know. We will even give you a better courtesy than you have afforded Robin.

I am sure there are many people working to the same level or higher than Robin in this trade. But how many are giving back to the trade the way he does. Maybe everything is not the same way we might do it, we cant all agree. But he is putting quality information out in a respectable and humble manner. If its too simple for you, carry on keyboard warriors.

Back