Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rockwell 14" 25-210 Lathe help

I am picking up a Rockwell 14" tool room lathe, model 25-210. I need to replace the variable speed V belts but the numbers are unreadable on the old belts. I have a partial number, they are 5L-51 but the last numbers are either 50 or 60. Does anyone here have one of these or happen to know the correct belt (matched set?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the same lathe. I went out and looked. Mine says B49. Good lathe by the way.

3. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is great, THANKS...this has been an adventure trying to get it from Michigan to Kentucky, out of my Dads basement. If you know anyone who needs a Bridgeport series 1 with a J1 head...there is one down there that needs a new home. Only 2 people have ever run it, both treated it like it was made of gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does yours have the original crank speed adjustment or is it the later "lever adjustment" to change speed?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has the crank wheel speed adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dwebster View Post
    It has the crank wheel speed adjustment.
    Mine has been converted, I'd rather have the original setup. Nice lathes though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is great, THANKS...this has been an adventure trying to get it from Michigan to Kentucky, out of my Dads basement.
    Where in Kentucky are you DWebster? I am in Louisville.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am down in Richmond, just past the Depot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you haven't already done so, join the Yahoo Rockwell Lathe Group. Lots of good stuff listed for your 14' lathe. I have one too that I bought a few years back and rebuilt. Mine has the lever for speed control and the clutch-brake setup also. Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anybody have a functioning tach on theirs.............mine is damaged. Have been trying to figure whether to attempt a repair or put a digital on it.

Tony has a pretty good manual set for them, not cheap, but it is very nice.

12. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rj1939 View Post
    Does anybody have a functioning tach on theirs.............mine is damaged. Have been trying to figure whether to attempt a repair or put a digital on it.

Tony has a pretty good manual set for them, not cheap, but it is very nice.
    Put a electronic tach on it! They are cheap! I have partially installed on my 14" lathe. Still have to make a mount for it. Run it off of a wall wart. Yeah, bought one of his manuals, very nice! And for the price, I didn't think it was bad either.

The old tach that they put on these lathes was one of the hand held S-W tachs that you used to be able to buy. There's more to it than that, but the basics components are the same from what I've been told.

14. Likes rj1939 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Electronic tach will be here today.

Was looking at the variable speed change setup, it has the lever on the carriage, but no hex shaft for it to operate...........toying with trying to get it operating. Not sure if Tony's book will show me what else is needed......winter project anyway.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finally found the replacement belts: 2322V421 is the V belt cross reference number. I ordered 2 of them and they fit perfect. Everything is just about done with re assembly. I have to adjust the belts, install the covers, wire up power and I am in business. The TAC on mine was broken decades agao, even after they re built it, it died within a short time.lathe-re-build.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you joined the Rockwell Lathe Group over on Yahoo, I have posted many drawings for replacement parts for this lathe that might be of help in the future. That's one thing I didn't do when I rebuilt mine, I did not take the quick change gear box off of mine. It probably needs to be pulled and cleaned up at least. I don't like opening up any more cans of worms than I have to on any machine reconditioning or rebuild.
    What your doing looks nice! Thanks for posting.
    How about posting some pictures of the back side of the QCGB ?
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep It looks a lot like mine, but mine is all together. I switched mine over to direct current. Big improvement.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I actually, just put mine back on last night after getting all the belts on. I did not go crazy with the cleaning, just wiped out the old oil and chips as much as possible. This is a 120 single phase motor, lucked out there because my mill is a 3 phase and the phase converter is loud enough I had to build a cover for it. Next time, I think I am going to either swap to a single phase motor or get a VFD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I actually, j....................... Next time, I think I am going to either swap to a single phase motor or get a VFD.
    Get you a VFD. That's what I run on both my Rockwell lathe and Index mill. Have not yet stalled out the motors on either machine. Of course, I don't run them every day like some people do. Yeah, I know, why a VFD when you have variable speed built in the lathe. I have the variable speed on the lathe set in a happy spot with the VFD set at mid range. Which gives me about 600-700 RPM at the spindle where I do most of my cutting. If I need a slower speed, I just dial down the VFD or put the lathe into back gear, and run. If I need higher speeds, I dial up the VFD. And If I really need real high speeds, I have the joy stick to play with. Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    If you joined the Rockwell Lathe Group over on Yahoo, I have posted many drawings for replacement parts for this lathe that might be of help in the future. That's one thing I didn't do when I rebuilt mine, I did not take the quick change gear box off of mine. It probably needs to be pulled and cleaned up at least. I don't like opening up any more cans of worms than I have to on any machine reconditioning or rebuild.
    What your doing looks nice! Thanks for posting.
    How about posting some pictures of the back side of the QCGB ?
    Ken
    I logged in the other night, hadn't been on in quite a while, anyway, it wouldn't let me access the "files" for some reason.