Rockwell BSO 25 blade welder troubleshooting?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rockwell BSO 25 blade welder troubleshooting?

I had a few blades made for me a years back. The first worn out and I replaced it with a spare only this blade was too long. So, I decide to finally use the Rockwell BSO 25 welder built into the saw. I shortened the blade and cleaned it up on the built-in grinder. I had used one of these many years back in a navy shipyard machine shop so it wasn't totally foreign to me. I set everything following the instructions on the welder, rotated the welder knob and...nothing. I know it is getting power because I checked the wiring which feeds both the welder and the grinder. The transformer hums also hums when there is power to the saw. I removed the welder and proceeded to check all of the wiring and connections. Nothing is burned or loose. The transformer looks great but the are no identifiers on the tap wires or part number which might help. The windings on the transformer ring with continuity using an ohmmeter. I started looking at the weld and cutout switches. The weld and cutout switches are in series. However, when I rotate the weld switch the normally closed cutout switch is mechanically open just past the 12 o'clock position of the weld switch. The normally open weld switch only closes when it reaches the full clockwise rotation. By that time the cutout switch has long been opened. The welder instructions state the welder will cutout automatically when full clockwise rotation is reached. So there is no way power is getting to the transformer windings to create the current required to weld. The nylon button on the cutout switch still has the red paint from the factory adjustment. The weld switch is non adjustable. Are there any ideas from of the more knowledgeable minds here on what to do next?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a Stryco welder, these were sometimes rebadged, and mounted in bandsaws.

Take off the covers, and push the nylon rod "weld button" with nothing in the jaws.

I think your "off the cam" meaning someone hit that button, for a moment, and it got out of time for the weld cycle.

It might run the motor, and go until it drops to the "weld completed" part of the cam. Then you retract the jaws, which re-set's it for another weld.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also be sure the jaws that grip the blade are clean, they make electrical contact with the blade so a layer of sawdust or dirt does not help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everything is clean. I'm thinking it might be a cam timing issue. The phenolic handle had been broken off at some point. I swapped it with the blade width handle. I'm guessing I'll need to see how that cam (really just a solid disc with a rod sticking out to engage the welding switch) is affixed to the handle shaft.