What's new
What's new

Rockwell Drill Press Spindle 16-000

Justin13

Plastic
We picked up a nice clean rockwell drill press for our shop today. I think it was a 67-000. The spindle is kinda long and has a smaller female morse taper. I am used to a jacobs taper. I was wondering if it would be possible to change this part of the spinde, how you get it off of there? I know morse is better than jacobs and it came with a nice chuck too, but it is sticking out so far its going to make the work low and allow a lot of deflection.

Any tips on spindle tapers is appreciated. Sorry if this has been covered before. I did search and I think I have learned a bit about my situation, but I haven't found how to take this particular spindle off the quill on this one and where or what is available.

I rebuilt a Rockwell 17" VS drill many years ago. It had a J33C spindle end but I wanted a 2MT spindle end. On that model drill, the spindle ends are very simple and short. I made my new spindle from a 2MT extension, so that the female 2MT was already machined and the rest of the part was very simple. Rockwell sold the drills with a choice of spindle ends, but OEM parts are probably hard to find now.

I took a picture of the complete spindle assembly showing the J33C end, a new chuck with the J33 collar mount and the new 2MT end I made.

Larry

Rockwell 17 DP Spindle 1.JPG

Cool, thanks, so you went the other way... how do those spindle noses attach to the upper spindle? I am thinking maybe I just put the drill press up on a stand and live with the MT spindle. It's a bit long but drill bits are flexible anyways, I think the bigger issue is how low the table is with that spindle and a MT chuck on it. But thats easy to fix. But I would like to learn how that spindle comes off the drill press without disassembling the entire thing.

On my Walker Turner the spindle is one piece. Drop the quill all the way out. Remove lock collar from the top and press out spindel with lower bearing. This will probably damage the lower bearing.
Bil lD.

Back