What's new
What's new

Rockwell metal lathe 14" 25-209

James Arnold

Plastic
I have found information that is close to this machine, but not quite.
I'm looking at rebuilding it so I need all the information I can get.
4ac37b5e7d26fc543ecdb5596130b8f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That would be the right one.
Thank you for finding that.
I'm going to print it out.

Got one of those in our "mechanics" shop at work. Not a bad machine, but ours has been sadly neglected and is lacking in useful tooling.

I hope this will work well for me.
I am a one man part time hobbyist.
I seen it turn about 12 years ago.

Well if you send me the money I will go buy a better one.
But until then I have to work with what I have.

Well if you send me the money I will go buy a better one.
But until then I have to work with what I have.

That comment from John was uncalled for, unless there is something not obvious about this machine why not get it running again? It isn't a Schaublin or Hardinge but it should still do useful work which is after all the point of machine tools.

It might have been but he is entitled to his opinion.
Maybe this one will be acceptable.
I haven't gotten the card from grizzly yet. But she has a war tag and one from Mount Sinai Medical Hospital.
ca1447fea46562eff8fe6ac2a4c89901.jpg

ad0f3d83bd063a1bd18c371d840fefb9.jpg

8ad03efd1082f9a99c6e9ecc73e2860f.jpg

I wonder if the tailstock on the Rockwell lathe is the ORIGINAL,CORRECT one?

The South Bend is a very early one. Obviously,it has war board markings,but the old style quick change gearbox with the extra lever on top is an early model. Easy to spot in pictures. It looks like it has been stored in dirt somewhere. There is no way its accuracy can be evaluated via a picture. It will not have a hardened bed. When I was in college,I used a "war board" 16" South Bend lathe in machine shop,and that was about 1960. It's bed was pretty badly worn,and would not turn a true cylinder. Made them shaped like a wooden barrel!! On a 2' long piece,the cylinder would be .015" larger in the middle than at its ends. Many war board lathes were just run to death nearly 24 hours a day in factories. Many years have passed since 1960. No telling what shape such machines are in now. I'd have to opt for the Rockwell as it will have a hardened bed,likely. But,I am suspicious of that tailstock.

If the war board lathe had always been in a hospital,its chances of being in decent mechanical shape would be much greater. But,I can't imagine war board markings on a hospital lathe. They must have gotten it after the war. No way of telling its history.

BY THE WAY: That old model lathe has plain spindle,milled right of the cast iron of the headstock. No replaceable bearings. If they are worn out,you are in BIG trouble.I was asked to look at a lathe like that which was in the maintenance dept. of the museum I was tool maker in. I found I could lift the chuck 1/8" !!!! with a pry bar!!! No wonder it would not cut metal!! I don't know how the maintenance men could be so stupid they couldn't see that chuck jumping all over the place when in use!!!:) They gave that lathe away.

All too often I have seen machines which were NEVER OILED by their users. They just cared nothing about the machines,and ran them dry till they were completely ruined. Lots of people like that around,unfortunately. I was THE ONLY person who ever oiled ANYTHING in our back up shop.

George, that is the correct tailstock for this lathe, it just missed getting a bath in blue paint!

I have the same 14" 25-209 lathe in my shop. Glad it's not painted blue!

James, post the serial number of your lathe, curious how close in age it is to mine. S/N is posted on a label on the back side of the bed at the tailstock end of the bed. Join the Yahoo group on "Rockwell Lathes", has a wealth of information on the site. As for availability of repair parts, there is no source for parts. A few show up on eBay time to time. Ken

I had the older version of the Rockwell 14" that used a hand wheel to change speed. It had some wear but I regret selling it when I needed the space. One feature I especially liked is the carriage feed reversing lever. Some of the newer ones had an option that would automatically disconnect the feed when the carriage reached a predetermined position. I'll look, but I think I got rid of all the documentation and extra parts I had for it.

George, thank you for the wonderful post. I was thinking the same thing about the Tails stock until I read 4GSR's post. I think he is right it just missed out on the crackhead blue paint job.
I didn't know that the South Bend doesn't have a harden bed on it. Hopefully it will be somewhat accurate. I'm not turning Precision or high tolerance parts. just doing this for a hobby and a little gunsmithing.
The main reason for the rebuild is I enjoy doing it and in my own head I'm saving the history behind it. Lol even though I have no idea what the history is.

According to the serial number list I have on file, yours was built in 1973. Mine was built in 1970 and carries s/n 151-5517.

I bought a very nice, very complete instructions parts manual from Tony Griffiths, www.lathes.co.uk. It wasn't cheap but has been very helpful for my needs. My lathe has a lot of interested screwy fixes done to it in it's past lives. One, the back gear has been disabled from being used. Slowly getting thru them, almost there. In the process replacing the variable speed belts right now. So far, they are available, three sets of belts will set you back about $100. Countershaft bearings will probably need replacing, too. The original one's are hard to find so I replaced them with something relative available. May affect belt adjustments a little. Haven't got that far in the rebuild.

Back