What's new
What's new

Rogue Barbell Manufacturing Video

You just can't beat the sound and visuals from an electric arc furnace. So few people understand what goes into making basic products and the scale of the machinery used.

This video and pretty much every "How It's Made" video they show starting from scrap and getting finished product on the other end. Does random barbell company and random "How It's Made" company really start from scrap and produce their own steel? I always assume that the video for the heavy industry side is shot at random company's up stream suppliers.

-Jim

This video and pretty much every "How It's Made" video they show starting from scrap and getting finished product on the other end. Does random barbell company and random "How It's Made" company really start from scrap and produce their own steel? I always assume that the video for the heavy industry side is shot at random company's up stream suppliers.

Rule 1 of your How It's Made Video:
If your product involves any forging, casting, foundry work, welding or other process with shit that's glowing orange and/or on fire? Use the hell out of that in your video, even if it's something a supplier does (bribe them for access to their facility to shoot it if you need to). Hot metal and flame is catnip for video views.

Hometown boys. Built a big new facility on the site of a former Timken bearing plant in Columbus. The forge stuff is not here, but design, fabrication and distribution is. The brief shots in the OP's video don't appear to be at the new place. They're on the web, and apparently hiring...

An old boss was a lifter and we looked at making higher end bars 30+ years ago. Stressproof was the least costly acceptable material, and higher weight bars needed to go to etd150. Knurling quality was key to perceived quality, and buying 1 1/8 diameter steel by the truckload was key to pricing. Chinese stuff was just starting to hit the market and scared him off that venture.

Btw, my CrossFit gym just bought all new Rogue bars for some reason, I think the owner needed to spend some money. Anyway they cost almost $400 bucks apiece . They sold me two of the of the 5 year old bars for $80 each. After 5 years of being dropped from mid height and constant Olympic style lifting , the bearings are still nice and tight and turn smoothly.
The only downside is that the knurling is worn and rust stained. Might see if I can freshen it up with a hand knurler but if not I can live with it.
Rogue makes a quality product that lasts right here in the USA.

Back