What's new
What's new

Roll Forming Help

kayzin

Plastic
V clamp retainer.jpg
clamp and strap.JPG
Does anyone has suggestions to where i can roll form the v clamp retainer part attached? The three v clamp retainers are to be spot welded to the strap which i found online already. The profile is big and I wasnt able to find the place that's willing to do it. Please advise. The material will be 300 series Stainless Steel 16 gauge.

Thank you.

what kind of quantities? this should be fairly easy to roll. there are companies that will roll the profile and then roll that profile into a helix that can then be cut to length.

what kind of quantities? this should be fairly easy to roll. there are companies that will roll the profile and then roll that profile into a helix that can then be cut to length.

Its in prototype stage so the quantity is 10 for now. Do you happen to know any place willing to do? Most of the places I know said they wouldnt make it.

Unless someone already owns dies with that exact profile, the tooling costs alone could be several thousand dollars, depending on the machines.
Its easy to think that something like this could be cheap, if you see a commercial product that has a similar profile- but if the upfront costs to develop and trouble shoot a particular profile like this are not amortized over tens of thousands of parts, its just not gonna happen.

find something commercially made that you can use, or adapt, until you need several thousand a month, and, even then, its gonna be a stiff upfront tooling charge.

Looks like a standard clamp for Donaldson air filters.

They use the round profile to clamp in the end cap.
The hose clamp provides the tension to drive the curved female
wedges over the lips on the 2 mating pieces.

Common on heavy equipment .

:Grumbles: Did anyone bother to check my link in #3?

Hi Milland,

I did try to reply the other day, and dont know why it wasnt showing up. I am new to forums so i have not much experience with this.

Thanks for you suggestion. I asked Clampco and Voss Industries before i ask here for help. They said the profile is big and wont be able to make it.

And MattiJ, I had bought the 55 gallon drum bolt and the profile doesnt fit with what i am trying to do.

What you need is sometimes called a "hat section" You can find similar off-the-shelf pipe clamps and fence posts, not in SS it is true.

For a few pieces, consider many 1" long pieces of 2x2x1/8" stainless angle iron, plug welded through punched holes in your strap.

These guys say they have no stock, but maybe they have dies https://www.johnsonrollforming.com/channels.htm

Maybe here Metal Roof Clips | Stainless Clips | Galvanized Clips | BPD

Again, don't bother about rolling it to arc sections, just use short pieces.

Back