What's new
What's new

roller chain sprockets

lithoman

Aluminum
I am fabbing a powered trailer dolly. do both sprockets need to have either an even or odd number of teeth or could one be odd and the other even?

Functionally it wont really matter. If you have them both the same the chain will always be in the same spot on the sprocket. Having an odd and even should let the chain "rotate" around as they spin so all chain links will eventually wear on all the sprocket teeth.

Functionally it wont really matter. If you have them both the same the chain will always be in the same spot on the sprocket. Having an odd and even should let the chain "rotate" around as they spin so all chain links will eventually wear on all the sprocket teeth.

Can't wrap my head around this! Seems to me that each link has to 'enter' and 'exit' the sprocket anyway, so what if the same two links are always opposing each other if they all go 'round and 'round?
No doubt I'm missing something, so please, educate.

Can't wrap my head around this! Seems to me that each link has to 'enter' and 'exit' the sprocket anyway, so what if the same two links are always opposing each other if they all go 'round and 'round?
Theory is, the links are not all perfectly the same, so if they land in the same place on the sprockets every single time, eventually they will wear the teeth unevenly.

Since I've never had anything that lasted that long, have no position on whether that works out to be true or not :)

Thanks. I maintain a number of chain drives (#50) and have designed and built a couple of my own. The drives at work see daily use in an environment rich in copper & copper oxide dust, hours a day and this just isn't a problem.

I wonder if its one of those things that 'theoretically' might matter, but in real life is irrelevant. That said, the drives I work on are low speed, high torque. Maybe it matters more on high speed equipment.

Same applies to gear tooth counts. Folks here claim they can see it on lathe spindle runout as various slight diffferences add up in roller bearings casing a cyclic shift. Theory is roller outer diameter must not be exactly a divisor of either the inner to outer race diameters.
Bil lD.

Back