What's new
What's new

Lathing on the MILL!

Putch

Hot Rolled
0823121617.jpg

It occurred to me after realizing my chuck wouldn't close down on a piece of 5/16" drill rod, and also after changing chucks to one that would close down but had unacceptable runout, that I've done this before...do it in the mill, stupid! Beautiful results, maybe 1/2 thou taper over an inch length turned to .221"

I have done this many times on some micro parts.It's like running a small lathe with DRO even!
Set a stop up on the vice and you can change out tooling that will repeat when changing from turning to part off tool really close also.

Used to make some puck mold pins that had some compound angles on the head of the pin,ground the profile of the pin into a piece of rex95 and used the quill stop to plunge the pins into the cutter,made hundreds like that..was a cake walk.

I used the knee to feed up an inch, then skimmed back down which cleaned up most of the taper from the rough pass. I figured the knee would give me a more steady feed than the quill. I only have to do three of em though, they're punches for a die set I made that trims the OD of aluminum spinnings and does a 3 hole pattern at the same time.

It works fine to turn on a mill within the machine's capability.

Have to laugh everytime this subject comes up. As as apprentice 50 years ago I had a quick small lathe job to do to get a single small brass gear project along to the next operation (NASA R&D shop, jewelers lathes to 40 ft planer, every open machine was clean and available). It was 5C collet size and all the Monarch 10EE lathes were busy with work. The next size lathe available was a big hulking L&S, no thanks. Rats!

The little Hardinge horizonal mills that no one ever seemed to use were all empty so I drilled, reamed and turned the gear blank using the Hardinge mill with a 5C collet, then finished the gear in the same mill in the conventional manner. The gear was fine and done quickly. I'm happy and thinking I did well.

The reaming that followed still befuddles me a half century later, one guy took exception to what I'd done with a mill and made a big stink. It's true, some old farts aren't much more than that. He did contribute to my career however.

For the following 50 years it's been a personal policy to encourage as well as nuture innovation and creativity from everyone. That fellow's "lesson" backfired big time.

One look at present day CNC machines that turn, mill, drill, bore, index and jump through hoops all in the same enclosure should be inspiration enough to do more.

one of themost expedient ways to mak a bunch of round stuff is to build a box tool for your mills spindle and load of a table of parts and plunge them. or use a boring head but turn the tool inward. and reverse, or make a left hand tool so you dont unscrew the head from arbor. there's some threads here about doing this on a CNC with a whole table full of at least 50 parts.

I have a 4" 3 jaw chuck to r8 arbor adapter somewhere. I bought my mill way before my lathe.

I was given a 3/8" Jacobs chuck with a 7/16" shank that let the chuck run out. Put a piece of 3/8" drill rod in the BRPT tightened the chuck on to rod and turned the shank to 3/8" walla no run out.

I have 58 pcs. of 11" dia. round stock that are gonna be milled into railroad shaped wheels,tapered keeper flange and all,on my milling machine.
Gonna hold em in a old four jaw. just run a bunch of 9" dia. ones,I was pleased with the results!!!!,very please,appearantly so was someone else,eh?
My 16" S. Bend aint really up to the task,especially when it comes to cubic inchs per minute.
yep,more than one way skin a cat.
Gw

It works fine to turn on a mill within the machine's capability.

Have to laugh everytime this subject comes up. As as apprentice 50 years ago I had a quick small lathe job to do to get a single small brass gear project along to the next operation (NASA R&D shop, jewelers lathes to 40 ft planer, every open machine was clean and available). It was 5C collet size and all the Monarch 10EE lathes were busy with work. The next size lathe available was a big hulking L&S, no thanks. Rats!

The little Hardinge horizonal mills that no one ever seemed to use were all empty so I drilled, reamed and turned the gear blank using the Hardinge mill with a 5C collet, then finished the gear in the same mill in the conventional manner. The gear was fine and done quickly. I'm happy and thinking I did well.

The reaming that followed still befuddles me a half century later, one guy took exception to what I'd done with a mill and made a big stink. It's true, some old farts aren't much more than that. He did contribute to my career however.

For the following 50 years it's been a personal policy to encourage as well as nuture innovation and creativity from everyone. That fellow's "lesson" backfired big time.

One look at present day CNC machines that turn, mill, drill, bore, index and jump through hoops all in the same enclosure should be inspiration enough to do more.

Innovation is what it's all about! I know this is simple, but it was the best way to make a true-running punch of this size in our shop, where my only 4-jaw is a 50 inch behemoth! (Or one on the trimmers' lathes which are still too big and in use)

THAT is a real impressive video!

I am not sure if it is all 'putor gen", or if it is somehow mixed actual and digi?

The middle part shows waviness in the paint, and I was very impressed with the ability to show jaw movement and RPM changes on a digi video, but I think it was all digi...

???

--------------------

I am Ox and ... did I mention that I was impressed?

oh wow you're pretty perceptive for picking that up! A guy said that on my milling on the lathe post one day and I thought it would make a funny title. I have to applaud your knowledge for knowing that using a lathe is called turning though

THAT is a real impressive video!

I am not sure if it is all 'putor gen", or if it is somehow mixed actual and digi?

The middle part shows waviness in the paint, and I was very impressed with the ability to show jaw movement and RPM changes on a digi video, but I think it was all digi...

???

--------------------

I am Ox and ... did I mention that I was impressed?

Yea I guessed it was all digital. We had one machine there they referred to as the "Emag" but I never realized the other ones I ran for a few weeks were too. Inline gauging of ID's and OD's and turned dia held to just a few .0001".They ran 2 parts at a time, and all was well until you only got ONE part, that threw the sequencing off for the automatic gauging, one part would start getting larger, the other smaller because it was adjusting the process for the "wrong" part each time :-).

I am teaching a young woman to use the lathe. She kept saying "lathing",so I had to correct her to "turning" before she made herself look silly somewhere!!:) A very apt student,too.

I'm about ready to turn my Deckel FP2NC into a CNC sliding headstock lathe for a small ball-turning job. I plan to run the mill in horizontal mode (the vertical head flips up out of the way) and mount a Swiss Habbegger lathe compound (Schaublin clone) on the table. I will program tool compensation by fooling the mill into thinking it's a job for the vertical head with an end mill radius equal to the radius of the turning tool tip. I'll use an ER-16 collet to hold the stock. I only need a single tool, but I can easily see gang tool possibilities.

Back