Romanian Built M.I.C.M. SN 400 Lathes - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hola ,me doy cuenta que el chuck de 4 no es original , no tienes la bomba de aceite y no tienes la tabla de rosca, es cierto
    eso?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
    "..Hello, I'm from peru, I have a similar lathe, too, would like a manual, but after researching and bustle got board threads, just contact to exchange experiences..."
    Yes that would be great Henry S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, I realize that the chuck 4 is not original, you do not have the oil pump and not have table sizes, it is true
    that?
    I do not have the coolant pump,the wiring is still there but yes, I need a photograph of the thread cutting diagram. I do need to rebuild the oil pump drive in the headstock though,it appears to be have a bit too much wear to pump properly.The stoke is too short.
    Yo no tengo la bomba de agua, el cableado está todavía allí, pero sí, yo necesito una fotografía del diagrama de corte de la rosca. Me hace falta para reconstruir la unidad de la bomba de aceite en el cabezal, sin embargo, parece ser que un poco demasiado desgaste para bombear properly.The stoke es demasiado corto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you have to have good writing, to translate well, give me your facebook account and send you hotograph of the thread cutting diagram, water pump would take a picture and then you the shipping
    I do not have the coolant pump,the wiring is still there but yes, I need a photograph of the thread cutting diagram. I do need to rebuild the oil pump drive in the headstock though,it appears to be have a bit too much wear to pump properly.The stoke is too short.
    Yo no tengo la bomba de agua, el cableado está todavía allí, pero sí, yo necesito una fotografía del diagrama de corte de la rosca. Me hace falta para reconstruir la unidad de la bomba de aceite en el cabezal, sin embargo, parece ser que un poco demasiado desgaste para bombear properly.The stoke es demasiado corto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For anyones future reference i found a link to a manual for a SN320 lathe ,the size down from mine..
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/212871...7624099540912/

Country
    ROMANIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd like to find another thread cutting plaque for my lathe so if you see another SN400 being sold which still has the plate attached I would love to get a photo pf the plaque .
    Let me know if u still need that photo.We own the 1962 arad model of this lathe which probably has the same gearing.

Country
    ROMANIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello guys,
    I am from Romania and I own 2 romanian lathe and I want another small one.
    From what I know first lathe produced was Iosif Ranghet 360x1000 360x1500 and after that 400x1000 ; 400x1500 -400 working diameter over bed , 1000;1500 distamce betwin centers.This lathe has a norton gearbox. They took hevy cuts in the production(cuts almoust wide as the insert) very rigid . This lathe was the builder of industy in Romania. The first model af this lathe was made with bronze bushing like a felow told in this thread and after a while with bearing.
    After this was SN400 with various distance betwin centers. Very good lathe.
    Then SNB 400 , SNA 400 - with electromagnetic cluch , SN401 and the latest model SN402.SNB and SNA was buid using precision gamet bearing.
    This is the range of 400 lathe buid by romanian factory Aris in Arad(city).SN , SNB and SNA was buid in other dimensions , smaller and biger.
    Another factory from Targoviste named SARO was producing biger lathes.

FYI this lathe was designed and used 3 shifts/day , 5 days/week. So if you have a romanian lathe that is now wery smooth you have big chances that your lathe was in production like I told.

This is a SNB400x750 lathe with gamet bearing.- 2250 kg

This is a SN401x1000 - photo made when I bought it - over 2400 kg

If you have questions about romanian machinery I am here for you.

Cata

7. Likes Peter S, Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cata!, those are impressive lathes and look to be built for very heavy Work. I am using italian Impero tool holders on mine and suit the machine perfectly Eventually i will have to rebuild the compound slide as the feed is getting a little worn but nothing i cant work around .greetings from Australia .

Country
    ROMANIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cata!, those are impressive lathes and look to be built for very heavy Work. I am using italian Impero tool holders on mine and suit the machine perfectly Eventually i will have to rebuild the compound slide as the feed is getting a little worn but nothing i cant work around .greetings from Australia .
    Nice to hear that someone else from this forum uses romanian lathes.
    What model do you have ? Any pictures?

regards,
    cata

Country
    TANZANIA, UNITED REPUBLIC OF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elninio View Post
    Looks like an Arad lathe, I saw one in person just last month. Contact ARAD lathe company (arad strung in romanian). MICM probably got bought or renamed in Bucharest, which is a tiny city, so you won't have a hard time finding sources of information despite name changes. You can find disassembly videos on youtube too, but under the name ARAD. This company is one of the few left producing lathes, but operating from western romania. On the contrary, eastern europe is entirely dismantled in terms of production capabilities. If you find a romanian document, post here and I'll help you translate it.

Here's a for-sale add with an identical lathe, but different plate name: Cumva pagina aceasta nu (mai) exista pe OLX. Nu-i bai, da Inapoi din browser sau da click pe undeva prin aceasta pagina.

Attachment 105719Attachment 105720

In communism were built several businesses that produce machine tools used in industrial production. Perhaps one of the most popular such enterprises was that of Arad. Arad lathes Enterprise was established on December 24, 1949 as the state industrial enterprises (IIS), Victoria ". From 1953 until 1961 was called Works, Joseph Ranghef "and from 1961 to March of 1973 the name of factory lathes. Arad turning lathes enterprise producing diverse automatic lathe, hydraulic copy lathe, lathe display quota, lathe turret lathe heavy SN 400 and others used in the country and exported.

EDIT: I just looked at your OTHER pictures (2nd, 3rd, 4th ...), it says cleary ARAD on it. MICM is the bullshit exporter name.

These lathes are only cheap because so many were produced. The headstock on the smaller model is longer than the distance between centers and comes with 15, 20kw motors. It's a very solid lathe made to be abused and fixed quickly for operations to continue. This is what you get when german technology produces a russian designed lathe; that's why the factories are western (as you know, romania is contested territory for a long time).

Here's example of how cheap and solid the lathe's are (a shorter SN 400), currently selling for 2000RON = 450USD http://www.tocmai.ro/strung-sn-400-16808159.html . Look at the proportion of the headstock and width of the bed to distance between centers. It's almost 1:1

Attachment 105721

This guy is selling books for various Arad lathes, cartimanuale @ gmail.com , name is 'Razvan' , I don't know him. If it doesn't work out, you can contact various lathe sellers in romania (they speak english), or parts sales places --- like the stores that would sell you a new clutch for this machine, they probably got lathe manuals or can track them down easily for you.
    MY NAME IS JOHN NDUNGURU from Tanzania. I would like to source the electrical wiring diagram for a SNB 400 Romanian lathe built in 1976. Mechanically it is OK but the electrics have been completely cannibalized. I think the motor is 7.5 kw and 1500 rpm.
    I need help to get this machine going and if you can put me in touch with any experts on the machine. I'll be grateful.
    best rgrds,
    John Ndunguru

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RonB,if you would read my post MORE CAREFULLY,you would see that I said my headstock would get so fot that it would GROW .002" in height at the spindle.

As for the tailstock,if you extended the quill,it was pointing towards the operator .007" when a dial indicatror was slid along its length,and pointing UP .007" too. The base of the tailstock had to be scraped until alignment was better. The technician they sent never did get the tailstock perfect.

Too many other problems to mention right now.

Country
    ROMANIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The motor on SNB have 2 speeds. Post a picture with the lathe and provide a e-mail adress so a can send you the electrical diagrams.

regards,
    cata

Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi any one here got a manual or knowledge on the carriage of these machines. was cleaning work shop and must have come in and engaged cross feed! Then tryed to hand feed cross fed wa week later and it was stiff so I applied a little pressure. It piped with little pressure and released! But now it won’t feed from drive. Is there some safety release that needs resetting or is it a part that has broken. Where do I start? Do not have time to start pulling apart for a week or two but would like to have as much information as possible before starting. Thanx from sweden

Country
    TANZANIA, UNITED REPUBLIC OF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default snb 400 lathe electrical drawings

Hi,
    My name is John Ndunguru from Tanzania. I need wiring diagram for lathe pictured. My e-mail address is [email protected]
    Please help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snb-400-lathe.jpg  

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cata,

I'm about to buy a SNA400-750 lathe. I'm just wondering, is it really that heavy? I do have a russian manual, which does not specify the weight of the machine

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The largest thread was 10" from CREST to CREST!! We made large wooden screws,among other things,so big thread capacity was welcome.
    For leadscrew movements that long per revolution they have to have the power feeding from the feed box to the headstock, backwards from normal practice.
    I have a French Sculfort lathe, a 9K lb beast, that has a lever to switch from input from headstock to feed box or back. I've never before today heard of another lathe like that, but my knowledge is extremely finite.
    With 10" per rev you could rifle a barrel!

BTW, on that Sculfort you can set the headstock in nuetral and use either the power longitudinal feed or the leadscrew to shape a keyseat in a hub, I made a special custom headstock lock so it can't roll on the bearings while doing so, but it's very easy to forget to unlock it.

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

resized_20190916_143457.jpg

My new toy

18. Likes leeko, michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that the threading dial on the top/right of the apron? looks very big. I am impressed by the casting that holds up the lead screw on the right hand end.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Is that the threading dial on the top/right of the apron? looks very big. I am impressed by the casting that holds up the lead screw on the right hand end.
    Bill D
    On the Eastern European lathes I've worked on there's usually a bank of micro switches in that casting for the spindle on/off lever. They don't normally have a series of clutches, just direct on to the electric motor. That box is a bit of overkill though.

It looks like a refurbished machine judging by the over spray on the wooden pallet.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink

I like the chuck key holder

Country
    SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not really refurbished, just a little paint on it
    previous owner was a keen painter, I have seen his workshop, all machines were painted the same way