Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    Having the workpiece sticking up so far makes a part of me a little clenched, but I understand it's a small cut and I can't argue with success. The whole tooling setup looks great and you deserve the congratulations.
    The picture can be misleading if you don't know the details. It's a lot more solid than you think. The Gear Shaping Cutter in the pic is 0.700" in Outside Diameter. It is only sticking out of the table 2". The shank itself is mildly hardened. ( low to mid 40's Rockwell C ) And, it is held fairly firmly by the MT2 taper on the other end. If there were any insufficiency in the set up, it wouldn't allow the surface finishes that we're getting.

3. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    The picture can be misleading if you don't know the details. It's a lot more solid than you think. The Gear Shaping Cutter in the pic is 0.700" in Outside Diameter. It is only sticking out of the table 2". The shank itself is mildly hardened. ( low to mid 40's Rockwell C ) And, it is held fairly firmly by the MT2 taper on the other end. If there were any insufficiency in the set up, it wouldn't allow the surface finishes that we're getting.
    No criticism. I know that you know what you're doing and you have a good setup and good solution to your problem. I'm only noting my first reaction to a photo that can't convey the reality.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    No criticism. I know that you know what you're doing... <snip>
    That officially makes one of us. Seriously. I'm rarely so sure.
    Painful or not, criticism is welcome. I'm loathe to consider the day I stop learning.

Back to the topic at hand, some of the most fun work I've had has been super tiny and some of it has been super big. One thing that seems to exist though is that one the average, the larger work pays better. I'm not sure why, but that's been my observation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Larger work always pays better. The fewer the shops that do the work, the more expensive it is. Supply and demand just like everything else. It also costs more to buy larger machines, larger tooling and guys to run them who won't make million dollar mistakes. Trashing a $50 piece of material sucks, but trashing a $50,000 piece of material is a serious problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Call us back when you have a million parts on it.
    How do you oil it, those spring ball things are a pain and I've never found a gun/tip that works well.
    Made a few tips, never quite happy. Depth has to be just right and slotted but still spills oil.
    There must be a "tool" for this.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    How do you oil it, those spring ball things are a pain and I've never found a gun/tip that works well.
    Made a few tips, never quite happy. Depth has to be just right and slotted but still spills oil.
    Bob
    You mean they're not supposed to spill all over? I thought that was a feature of the design to give you confidence that the pump was still working. If it doesn't squirt out all over, how do you know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Call us back when you have a million parts on it.
    Bob
    Have you tried the Oregon chain saw oiler?