What's new
What's new

Rotary Phase Converter not working...

swarf-sweeper

Plastic
Hello All,
My 7 year old RPC stopped working early this week. Its a 7.5 HP RPC that I use to run my Lathe & Bridgeport Mill.

When I flip the switch, all I hear is a loud humming sound coming from the idler motor. My first thought was one or more of the start capacitors must have gone bad. So, I pulled the cover off the converter and found where two of the 3 start capacitor's had been leaking with crusty stuff coming out of one end of it. I just got through replacing both capacitors with exactly the same spec replacements -- no dice. Still hearing a humming sound.

There are only two other components in this converter -- 2 tin covered Run Capacitors and a Relay Switch? Could the problem be in the relay or run capacitors? Or is the problem specific to the idler motor? With the power off, i was easily able to turn the motor by sticking a screwdriver through the vent hole in the end so I know the problem isn't due to the motors inability to turn freely.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this are greatly appreciated!!

-Swarf-Sweeper

Okay this weird. I took the relay out and shook it around real good, rapped on it a couple times and put it back in. RPC fired right up and did so 10 to 12 times without issue. I did see blue electrical arcing across the face of the relay. Man -- this stuff can kill ya if your not careful!

I'm guessing arcing across the relay is not good...comments?

Thanks

I may pull that relay apart and see what's going on inside. I may file the contacts as you suggested for now, and order a replacement online.

Thanks!

-ss

Back