What's new
What's new

ASTM B221 vs. ASTM B429

• Thread starter guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 2,992
G

I'm about to start a project that uses a lot of .250 wall 6061 tubing. I'll use sizes from 1-1/2" to 6".

I have some 5' long pieces of tube that I will not be using- planning to order everything already cut to length.

Looking at the material on hand, the 1-1/2", 2", 3", and 4" tubes are right on size (+/- .003). They are Kaiser and Sierra, and stenciled ASTM B429. The 5" is oversize by .050"-.090" and egged out. This material is from Service Center and stenciled ASTM B221-14.

I know the association standard tolerances for extruded materials, and the 5" is outside that tolerance.

I don't know what a 5" pipe would be on the OD, I'm hoping this is just a pipe spec and not a tube spec.

Also wondering- is the B429 spec a tighter tolerance than the B221? I'm about to order a bunch of this and my supplier is quoting ASTM B221 on the smaller sizes too.

Would like to avoid a clusterf*ck of 800+ pcs. of tubing that don't fit...

Yeah, the 5" I have is clearly not a pipe spec- it's just an out of spec (oversize) tube. 5" extruded tube does not have 1/8" of tolerance on the OD.

The material I need to order comes from LA. I need to get someone to measure the actual tubes before they cut them up. Trying to get the supplier to do that...

Friend makes a lot of parts from 6-8" 6061 tube. Instead of fight the shitty material he buys whatever and has it honed to size then finishes OD on a mandrel. The honing isn't all that much as I recall.

Back