What's new
What's new

Rough estimate on number of holes for small drills

turnworks

Cast Iron
Currently drilling some smaller holes in 6061 aluminum and trying to determine how many holes before swapping it out. I'm guessing trail and error but figured I'd ask in case there is a good rule of thumb.

#66 drill (.033") HSS bright finish 118 degree point jobber length.

Blind hole .350" deep .030" peck 2.5ipm 2.1k rpms full coolant.

Also using a spot drill.

The parts are around 10 dollars a piece at this stage so just go until one breaks then back off 100 holes?

So far I'm at 810 holes and counting.

Impossible to answer as chaos theory will govern when the drill breaks. Chances are at that slow surface speed the drill can last about as long as the spindle bearings.

That small a drill you want more rpm

Good coolant correct feeds you can get many thousands of holes out of a drill
We get tens of thousands of holes out of HSS ~.12 drills in 6061/6063

If it was me I would drill 1000 holes and then feel the edge of the drill. If it still drags on you fingertip then drill another 1000 and so on. As said, there are so many variables involved that I don't think it is possible to predict when your drill is going to crap out.

Thank you for the replies. I'm rpm limited at the moment. I checked after I went over 1000 holes and heck if I could tell if it was still sharp or not. Too dang small for my fingers so I looked at it under a stereo scope and looked ok to me so I'm just going to keep running it for now.

Thanks again.

The titex carbide drills were stated at several thousand cycles before bin, they didn’t recommend resharpening without a small drill grinding set up
As you say microscopic set up, they didn’t think it was cost effective even then, can’t argue!
Mark

I ran screw length drills whenever possible, in almost exclusively 6061. I don't think I ever changed out a small drill because it wore out, they only broke due to loss of coolant, swarf building up, bad workholding, or flat out losing the drill somewhere. In ti or stainless you could hear a change when it started to go dull, in al they pretty much lasted until you dropped or lost them.

What is your consideration for chip load?

Might play the productivity game, while watching the micro amps.

Twisting off a $2 drill costs a $10 part, once every ?? thousand holes. What is your shop rate?

you will know. your sfm is fractional , and we don't know your feeds and
coolant...

if you get 1000 holes, don't change a thing .!! sometimes the odds are
with us.

i have experienced a large endmill that literally shattered, and hummed
along , once 1/3 of it was history. it should have not worked ..

machining is an artisan ability... not a science

if it ain't broke........

By your limited RPM, that thing should last *forever* unless you lose coolant, or have an "oh shit" as others said. If you ever get a faster spindle go with a carbide circuit board drill. We use small drills (and smaller) all day everyday. Almost anything under 1/16" is a carbide circuit board drill. We run those small guys close to max 10-12k rpm.

A high quality, 10X magnifier is a tool that every machinist should have in his pocket 24-7-365.2425. I have carried one in my pocket since my late teens, about 60 years now.

The Hastings triplet is one of the best.

Just under 1800 holes and it snapped off.

I mainly do welding and fabrication along with cnc lathe work and a few things on the knee mill.

I have had a product I've been wanting to make for awhile now and the parts have a good amount of smaller holes on them. Not sure if they will sell well or not and no other work that I can't get done on the knee mill to justify a VMC. I didn't fancy sitting on a stool at the mill to drill all the holes so I impulsed bought a pair of older teach cnc mills.

I was changing the drills out after ever 400 holes at first without issues then I figured I might as well have some fun and a chance to learn something.

If these take off I'll do it proper but for now they just hum away in the corner while I get other things done.

Thanks again.

Back