What's new
What's new

Round leg vs. Yankee Dividers

I find the flat arms easier to manuver for fine adjustments to get the point on a mark. I suppose the round leg may sweep smoother for long arcs. I have no idea what a Yankee style one means.
Bill D

I have a bunch of calipers and dividers (not collectables, just accumulated) and most of them have flat legs. The Starrett round legs are noticeably beefier for a given size, especially if you are trying to scribe. As far as ID/OD transfers and comparisons go, both round and flat work about the same, at least if the flats have a decent screw fine adjust.

What I was taught, round leg preferred by toolmakers and the like esp in small sizes as more comfortable and easier to regrind sharp, don’t cast big shadows
Flat form bigger more crude fab shop stuff ( courtesy mr G.O.Davies, metalwork teacher, Neath boys grammar school)
Mark
The 3” starret is beautiful btw,

Last edited:
Yes, round leg are a lot stiffer. They don't flex near as much while scribing circles etc. I prefer them to flat leg but flat leg ones are still perfectly functional.

Yankee style as I recall had legs that were square in cross section from the spring to just below the adjuster and tapered below that down to the working tip Much stiffer than the flat leg.

Is there a functional difference between the Starrett round leg vs. Yankee dividers?

In terms of history you might find my post #10 here of interest: Starrett - Vintage Calipers & Dividers

At Knight Foundry here in Sutter Creek on tour days I like to show the "Yankee" outside calipers engraved with the initials of an earlier owner and then pull out the same calipers, essentially new-in-box that I bought new a few years ago...

David

The square leg ones I have, have a quick adjustment nut. None of the round leg ones I have are quick adjust. Both are much stiffer than the flat leg ones I have from a high end woodworking store. That being said the last new pair of dividers (3" round) have a much weaker spring than the new 2" I bought in the first year of my apprenticeship or the larger calipers and dividers I have. Pretty annoying when paying top dollar for Starrett.

Odd I had have the split nut round leg quick adjust starret and Moore and Wright, handier in big ones than small to me, I even have a 3” starret odd leg
( not quick adj)
Thank heaven for the old guys that saved them
Mark

The adustment screw for many round leg goes through a hole in the leg, centered. The flat leg ones have to have any adjustment screw off center.

No idea if that makes for a more stable adjustment in reality, but it makes sense that it could.

Back