What's new
What's new

Royal Collet Closer for Clausing 59XX lathes

piedmontg

Aluminum
Hi

Last year I installed a Royal Collet Closer on my Clausing 5904 lathe. I got some assistance from a number of you. In the process I collected a lot of information from both Clausing and Royal Documentation. I also did my own drawings for some of the parts. Included is how to determine correct tube length and pictures. I put everything I found and created in one PDF. I uploaded on the Clausing site on Yahoo. Here is the link:

Yahoo! Groups

OK this site will not allow a direct link, it is in the clausing_lathe_and_mill group, files section, under clausing lathes, Royal Collet Closer Clausing 59XX Documentation.pdf

I just uploaded it to Dropbox it might be easer to get it from there here is link:

Dropbox - Royal Collet Closer Clausing 59XX Documentation.pdf - Simplify your life

I am not sure if you need a login. It is a large file - 5Mb. and could not figure out how to upload here or into and album, it got a load error.

Bob

Thank you for sharing. This one is the same one that was supplied with my 14" Rockwell lathe when I bought it. Only problem, the dealer stole the collet closure from my lathe before they shipped it to me. Thanks HGR!! I have acquired a similar collet closure but missing the piece that attaches to the spindle. The one that looks like a gear. All I need is the detail of that "gear" looking thingy and I can figure out the rest. Would that be possible to get that piece of information from you? I know Royal can provide it, but my pockets are not that deep! Thanks, Ken

Ditto on the thanks, lots of useful info there that I did not have, for the closer that came with my lathe.

I am missing only the bracket that the linkage connects to, on the cover on the end of the headstock of my Super 11 Emco. Not sure now if the original set up was supposed to be a plate mounted to the outside of it, or a rod through the cover, now. No matter, will work out the details on installation.

Anyways, thank you!

4GSR, I sent you a PM with my email address. My closer is not installed, so I can make a few measurements if you need details.

...Not sure now if the original set up was supposed to be a plate mounted to the outside of it, or a rod through the cover, now. No matter, will work out the details on installation.
If you're talking about the fulcrum point on the lever end, it has to be mounted rigid to the casting- the sheet metal will just flex when you try to close the collet.

thank you for posting that Bob.

Ken,I just got one from Royal, it's only about 165$, (for just the ring, not including the spindle attachment). seems like its worth it. I actually found the one that came with it after ordering , so I do have an extra.

If you're talking about the fulcrum point on the lever end, it has to be mounted rigid to the casting- the sheet metal will just flex when you try to close the collet.

Yeah, that makes too much sense, eh.

I have to dig through the boxes that came with, again. Maybe, with the info in hand, i'll recognize something I had not before. Or not, in which case, I just make the darn thing!

thank you for posting that Bob.

Ken,I just got one from Royal, it's only about 165$, (for just the ring, not including the spindle attachment). seems like its worth it. I actually found the one that came with it after ordering , so I do have an extra.

Say, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. Right now, I don't have $165 to spare or I'd jump on it. I'm fixing to have a major surgery and be out for a bit until I recover. Ken

...I have to dig through the boxes that came with, again. Maybe, with the info in hand, i'll recognize something I had not before. Or not, in which case, I just make the darn thing!
Mine is just a piece of 1/2 x 7/8 flat bar with a few holes drilled in it. It pivots on both ends.

This is what you're looking for. Pokes through the sheet metal and attaches to a bracket on the headstock:

royal1.jpgroyal2.jpg

Back