What's new
What's new

Royal Metal lathe

welderwayne

Plastic
Does anyone know who makes Royal Metal lathes. It is a model Model E2N-750-H, 11" swing x 31.5 centers with removable bed, and a 12 speed geared head.

Thanks

Attachments

• Royal lathe.JPG
    Royal lathe.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 2,058
could it be that that is the actual size of the picture? EI, it's not a thumbnail? Not sure how the forum software works with small image files.....

Picky broken. I tried re-sizing it but quality was too bad. So that might be the actual picture size.

Can't really tell from the pic, but I have a similar one in the corner of my shop. I think it is a Royal brand also.

Lets see a larger pic if possible.

JAckal

Wayne,
Your lathe was made by: Technoimpex Lathe - Machineco.
It was made in Hungary.
Search this address: 11 x 33" Technoimpex Lathe - Machineco. and you'll see your lathe : same s/n.

Images here: Images for Technoimpex lathes

Cheers,
Herman

Herman

You're g.....o......o........d on finding the info on that Royal lathe!!!!! There is one for sale here in Canada for 2300.00 plus a 12 hour drive each way. Price may be negotiable some. I've had a couple of Chinese lathes but this may be my first real lathe that would probably do me forever. I am guessing this is a quality lathe,

Thanks again
Wayne

Wayne,
I read somewhere that this lathe "may not have " a reverse feature?? You may want to check this out. Not sure if it's the same model though.

I think your lathe was in Ontario some time ago.
See this on the Home shop machinist: Introduction & Advice Needed - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist ...

Lots of pictures here: Kart E2N 750 1

Cheers

Have not had time to go look yet.

Am hesitating because of the other pics...that little one you posted is the last one in the ad, I assume you have seen the others?

Not the dust/crap/"rust" but that it looks like a chain has been wrapped under the "backing plate" on the spindle as well as the rear of the tailstock top and used to move the machine at some point...just saying.

No promises but I may have time to go look on Wednesday this week, will let you know (I like the lathe make/style but its a little wrong for me, esp at $2500). And you are hauling if you can get here in 12 hours in winter:D

Just got back from viewing that E2N.

1st I will revise my statement regarding the chain, I am guessing a bit but think a mix of "security measure" and safety, the lathe is up on the second floor of a shop and almost directly under some low hanging roofing structure, plus the lathe itself is relatively narrow (a plus for me).

Anyway, not sure exactly what you are looking for in a lathe. Greasy and grimy does not begin to describe it, on the plus side I can't see how there would be any rust anywhere.
The current owner has sort of returned it to more what it used to be like, as example, the switch on the side of the apron is now linked up and functional again at the tailstock end of the bed. He has also "cobbled" together a foot bar linked to on/off switch as sort of a safety feature but said has never had use for it. I am not sure "cobbled" is quite fair, its well thought out but not factory.
The ways are in good shape visual only, not sure on wear. Everything moves as it should, the motor is 115/120v single phase not 220v, 1 horse so based on info from Tony's site, down a bit on power and not the 3 phase more industrial nature it once was. At the same time, this particular lathe, when used, has kicked off the breaker as its only 15amp but the one he uses more, on a heavier circuit has never stalled out yet. He sort of smiled when I mentioned the 3Hp 3 phase it came with and said he would be surprised if just 2Hp was not more than enough, esp if on 220v circuit.
There is about a 1/4 turn of slop in the compound, maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 turn in the cross feed. Many more technical details can be found on the web. The motor itself is very quiet (I am used to a bit of flat belt noise).

The owner actually has two of these lathes, nearly identical.
He is currently using and keeping one. In a round about way this is a bit of an issue since he has all 9 additional gears that lathe came with, says they are not that hard to find BUT the lathe he is selling only has 2 of the 9. Guessing they were a package deal when he bought them and between the two, all nine needed gears plus some "extras", "extras" only if one lathe is counted though.
There are a few sort of cosmetic details such as the rotary dial knob that is part of the gearbox feed system is gone (the stud is there, just the actual knob missing), the plumbing for the coolant is all in place but not functional (current owner has never used it on either lathe), the only threading dial I saw between the two was on the machine he is keeping and I suspect finding just that part will be difficult. This is the longer bed version of the two.

Overall, a good solid but used lathe. Perhaps as an indicator, he said he had considered cleaning/repainting but considering the amount of work and that he doubted he could get much more money for it than the way it is now, it was just easier to sell "as is".
I am considering purchase but largely because it is a step up from what I have now, that narrowness helps for the space available (the lathe is less than 2 feet deep) and perhaps more importantly, there are not a lot of used lathes this size that become available around here. Counting against it is that for almost the identical dollars I could get brand new off shore "hobbiest" lathe. He did state he was not interested in selling the other lathe as it is still in use.

Oh, forgot, to partially answer an earlier question, forward, stop, reverse from the control on the right hand side of the apron was shown, not sure if same from controls at head stock, would assume so but...also forgot, if you look at the photos/drawings on Tony's site, on the left hand plinth where there were a lot of electrical control knobs, lights etc., on this particular lathe they have almost all been replaced by household light switches. That tells me something as well.

Hi,

Does anybody know were to buy some spare parts for this model?
I've just bought an KART E2N and some pieces are missing like the lead screw and the "third shaft" with the operating lever for electrical control of the motor.
Or indications for replicate the missing parts?

Manny thanks,
Mojo

Hi,

Does anybody know were to buy some spare parts for this model?
I've just bought an KART E2N and some pieces are missing like the lead screw and the "third shaft" with the operating lever for electrical control of the motor.
Or indications for replicate the missing parts?

Manny thanks,
Mojo

maicusare: You would be probably more successful to re-post this query in the Tooling, Parts and Accessories
wanted and for sale forum. Not many people will see it here at the end of this posting. Good luck.
JH

Back