What's new
What's new

Rubber hose treatment? Or just leave it alone.

rons

Diamond
Bought 100' of this hose and it still remains pliable. Synthetic rubber?

Goodyear Insta-grip 300 push on hose

Got some of that see-thru PVC (blue) hose that is always pliable but has too much memory and coils up.

Got some old air hose (blue color) that always becomes less pliable when cold. Does this mean it is not synthetic rubber?

So the question is:
Is there a compound that I can quickly coat a hose without ruining it?
--- Once I remember Glycerin can be used but it's a tacky liquid.
--- Hand soap ?

If I wanted to ruin it I would not ask this question, but just use Armorall.

I have had some rubber products self destruct and others last. There are differences.

What is the purpose of the proposed coating? To inhibit UV, minimize cracking or something else? I am aware of nothing really effective at either that can be externally applied. Some hose is compounded in a way that excels at preservation. I have some Gates brand USA made red air hose that has lasted 10 years outside in blistering heat with minimal deterioration while a chinese copycat hose failed through within 2 years.

The Goodyear hose is likely EPDM or Nitrile. If it doesn't like oil it is EPDM. The transparent blue stuff is urethane and yes it holds a curl very badly. The old blue hose that gets stiff in the cold is PVC and I would bet on it being Kuriyama.

I used to buy thousands of feet of hose every year and tried them all. I found a hose that in a 1-1/2" ID size wound up beautifully on a powered hose reel with 240 feet of hose. Bought the exact same part number hose for another machine and it was terrible, it would not wind properly no how. Talked to the manufacturer and found out they 'reformulated' the rubber for better handling! Thanks guys, tossed a $1000 worth of hose.

I found out about good and bad rubber with a expensive after-market saddle for a BMW motorcycle. It cracked after a few years.

That blue pvc hose is total crap. I have to keep reminding the guys here not to buy any thing but rubber air hose.Gates or Goodyear will last for 10 years or more.

When I built my garage I had a bunch of 1/2" scd80 pvc pipe so just temporary I quickly ran air lines with the plan to replace it when I got time. I also bought 50' of Gates rubber hose. So far no problems with either. That was in 1970.

The Goodyear hose is likely EPDM or Nitrile. If it doesn't like oil it is EPDM. The transparent blue stuff is urethane and yes it holds a curl very badly. The old blue hose that gets stiff in the cold is PVC and I would bet on it being Kuriyama.

Seen rubber pieces expand out of dimension and stay that way when exposed to oil.

The polyurethane hose (see-thru blue hose on third row) is great stuff. Not crazy about the small coiled pieces.
The 3/8 hose I use has good memory on how to stay coiled up nice and neat. When in use it tries to coil up and I am always dealing with that.
The positive side with moving it around is that it is light and easy to undo unwanted curling up.

air hose - Google Search

Back