What's new
What's new

Run facing head with missing inserts?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Large facing head with NMTB 50 back is missing one of 10 octagonal inserts. I don’t need to use this much as I have other types for facing, but if I can run this one with 1 or 4 inserts removed, I’d like to see what it can do. Due to lack of real need,
I haven’t been motivated to search the globe for these inserts. 2 photos.

John Morris has shared 2 photos with you! | Flickr

There is a good chance that it is not using all of the inserts anyway, so don't worry about it. I had a friend that gave me a coffee can half full of inserts (apkt style) and I looked at them under a low power stereo microscope and found EXACTLY one out of five was unused. Later, I asked the guy if he had any more inserts from his FIVE pocket facemill. He asked how I knew that they came from a five pocket facemill and I just said 'just a guess'. He then verified that it was a good guess.

type-name for the type of collet used in the four NMTB-50 collet-type tool holders included this photo
You have to show us one of the collets, Cannonmn, the nut alone is not sufficient to tell identify the collet inside. Preferably, show us a picture with some dimensions.

Ok here

Flickr: Page Not Found

L: 2 3/8”. D: roughly 1 5/16”, all I had on me was a scale. These collets were included in the sale of the collet-typeholders shown, from a knowledgeable machinist-dealer who said they were correct type for the holders.

Back