What's new
What's new

Rust Removal

AeroTD&G

Plastic
I picked up a set of 5-C collets very reasonable at a garage sale. They have been sitting for a long time and have surface rust but otherwise are in decent shape.
What is the best recommended method to remove the rust?

DSCF4042.jpg

The Hazard Fraught also carries Evaporust.

The bad rust seems localized to the face of the collet, so you'll probably be fine with Evaporust for this one. If you ever need to clean up something where a dimensional change isn't acceptable, try electrolytic rust removal. Blasts off the rust, and only the rust. Only thing I use to clean up machined cast iron surfaces, like an iron surface plate or T-slot table.

Just those 2 collets ?
Whatever ....how many you got, any rust left on (or rough surface) is gonna
wear your collet ring faster.

Is the wearing of a hardened, accurately ground collet nose piece worth
the savings of using these collets rather than purchasing some new ones ?

For what it's worth, I cleaned up a set of 4-c collets that were at least as rusty by putting them in a Pyrex glass dish and mixing in some good old fashoned Grandmas molasses and tap water. Wait a day or two and rise them off!

For what it's worth, I cleaned up a set of 4-c collets that were at least as rusty by putting them in a Pyrex glass dish and mixing in some good old fashoned Grandmas molasses and tap water. Wait a day or two and rise them off!
Diluted molasses removes rust the same way Evaporust does, chelation. It is slower than Evaporust but a whole lot cheaper. For big objects like car chassis people use feed grade molasses diluted 10:1 with water. You'd go broke buying that much Evaporust.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you! Do you have a recommended source?
Tractor Supply, Lowes and Harbor Freight. Home Depot is online only but they will probably ship to store free, like their other on line only stuff. Most of the big box stores seem to have it. It is water based so keep it coverd so it doesn't evaporate. You can reuse it many times. Evaporust is my favorite rust remover. It is very low toxicicity and can be dumped down the drain

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Northern tool has 5gal of evaporust for $80 and free shipping to your local store.
If you buy the quarts from Advance Auto I think they are about $10

1. Fill two quart or larger container wiith water.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of washing soda per gallon (so this would be 1/2 tbls here).
3. Suspend collet into solution with a copper wire wrapped around it. The other end of the wire can be tied to a piece of wood that is resting on the top of the container.
4. Insert a piece of stainless bar (like 1/4") into solution a few inches away from collet.
5. Connect positive power supply terminal to stainless bar.
6. Connect negative power supply terminal to copper wire.
7. Turn on power supply to get a current of a few 100 ma to 2 A. (A battery charger will work but a power supply gives you some control).
8. Bubbles will form on the collet and rise to the surface. You know it's working.

Watch your rust problem go away. Works better than anything I have ever tried. Steps outlined above are for a small job like yours. More electrodes and a larger size container can be added for larger pieces.

Sincerely, Experienced Rust Picker.

I also use the electrolysis process. I clean lots of cast iron cookware as well as old tooling. Works great!

I forgot to mention that I use the bottom half of a plastic barrel and line it with steel plates. I use an adjustable home made battery charger/power supply. If I use it much the steel plates are ate up and have to be replaced.

I forgot to mention that I use the bottom half of a plastic barrel and line it with steel plates. I use an adjustable home made battery charger/power supply. If I use it much the steel plates are ate up and have to be replaced.

Stainless does not erode away. And the solution stays cleaner.

I like plain white vinegar. 2 gal for $3.50 at costco. Soak for 6-8 hours, then scrub with a soft brush and rinse. When dry coat with oil or Boeshield.

LM

Do not use stainless use any plain iron or steel instead. If you use stainless the liquid becomes hazardous waste with some bad chrome compounds in it. If you get caught spilling it on the ground or down the drain you are looking at business ending levels of fines. plain iron or steel no problems
Bill

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had heard about using molasses but never tried it. The electrolysis process sounds good, I will try all the methods and post my results with some before and after pics.

Tractor Supply, Lowes, Harbor Freight, Home Depot: I have all these stores close to me so I can check each of them for the Evaporust.

btw: It's not just two collets, the set has 30-40 collets from 1/16" UP TO 1"+ along with some misc. square sizes, a center collet, etc.

Is there a media suitable for vibratory polishing and cleaning of collets, including the slots and threads, without damage?

Back