Safety feature |has it been done? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Oh good... one more reason for operators to keep their eyes on their phone, where they belong....

It's a sad trend in humanity that we keep choosing to put our efforts in things that don't matter, like games, sports, "art", and gossip, instead of honing our productive skills to be exceptional. Will the new kid crash a tool? Sometimes yes, and he might even get canned for it, but if he cares enough about what he can do with his hands and mind, he'll learn not to. Not from fear of the boss, but because he wants to be better.
    I think you kinda touched on a whole different discussion, a very valid one.

A good friend/biz partner of mine is fascinated with modern technological events, especially anything AI related. We often have discussions about different "experts" opinions on these related subjects.

One conclusion that's not hard to reach is that there's a high probability the not so distant future will have people in first world countries looking for things to keep them busy, not ways to earn a living.

Both of us were raised by asshole alcoholic baby boomer fathers so we have that "work hard, earn your way, prove your worth to get ahead" kinda mentality.

Our kids may have a different kind of future ahead of them though.

That's my dilemma- How do I raise good humans for a world that may not need manual labor or hard work anymore? Do I teach them about art and sports?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is this error proofing a process?
    How many ways can things fail?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    It's a sad trend in humanity that we keep choosing to put our efforts in things that don't matter, like games, sports, "art", and gossip, instead of honing our productive skills to be exceptional.
    Hate to disagree with you, naggles, but ... go to a store. Any atore. It's full of shit that people don't need, the exceptional production of which is destroying our planet. In case you hadn't noticed, we probably won't be moving to a nice pristine new planet anytime soon.

From a realistic point of view, games, sports, art and gossip are all better for our world than exceptional productivity. Not that I don't love putting the needle in the red and getting twelve parts per minute off the spindle, but the reality is, in the Big Picture that's a bad thing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Light field cameras (or cheaper focus scanned cameras) have excellent depth perception from just one lens. You don't need two angle to see 3d, and stereovision is notoriously difficult to do in software.

Also, press brakes have used sensors to do this for years. Yes, in fewer axis, but it can be adapted. It's also a pain in the ass on press brakes because the line of sight is often interrupted without a contact hazard existing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yup, I knew older programmers that set rapids off the deck closer than that to speed up the job.
    I worked for a guy who programmed parts like that. He also cut with the end mill as far down as possible to keep flex to a minimum.

The chips couldn't evacuate out of the flutes of the endmill properly because of where he was cutting on the endmill, and every tool snapped in one program cycle because of the burr the dull tool left in an unrelated pocket.

Come on people. I get saving time but don't float 50 thou above a part for 16". You can come up and down while the machine is moving XY with no speed penalty. Let the head take a flying path.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the closest your going to get.

ViMill | FIDIA S.p.A.