What's new
What's new

Safety First

I don't use fly cutters, so i'm no expert on the subject.....But 12K rpm with that thing?

I have no idea how balanced that thing is...But if someone in the shop said they were going to spin that tool at that speed, I would go for a bathroom break.

Hopefully the software shows the chain of events. Literally dodged a bullet. Factory rep time.

we had a guy run a flycutter up to 10K once. (only a 4" dia though) It shook the machine so hard that the phosphorus was shaken off the CRT display.

I don't use fly cutters, so i'm no expert on the subject.....But 12K rpm with that thing?

I have no idea how balanced that thing is...But if someone in the shop said they were going to spin that tool at that speed, I would go for a bathroom break.

think the guy said the 12K RPM was a mistake or error in the machine.

Paul
I

Video stated that the machine had prior erratic behavior.

As far as going for a bathroom break, I'd want it to be across the street.

Video stated that the machine had prior erratic behavior.

As far as going for a bathroom break, I'd want it to be across the street.

Maybe down the block and across the street. The weight went through 2 1/2 walls by my count. First thought was who runs a fly cutter that fast. 800 RPMs was the limit with shop built cutters on manual machines in several shops I have been at. The commentator attributed it to "machine error", makes more sense to me now.

Maybe down the block and across the street. The weight went through 2 1/2 walls by my count. First thought was who runs a fly cutter that fast. 800 RPMs was the limit with shop built cutters on manual machines in several shops I have been at. The commentator attributed it to "machine error", makes more sense to me now.

Not only that, but it was still waist height when it hit the far wall :eek:

First thought was who runs a fly cutter that fast. 800 RPMs was the limit with shop built cutters on manual machines in several shops I have been at.

What happened to us, guy came in in the morning, turned machine on, called up tool 1, then ran the warmup program then walked away to go take a crap, get coffee, etc.

A rather useless video. What would it have taken, 30 seconds to go look at the monitor on the machine and see what the last command was? Then make the video and cut with all the suspense.

Bathroom break in a different building. That thing had some serious energy.

I assumed 9" dia., even at that it's 28000 feet per minute.

Assuming it got to the full 12,000Rs before it let go. A bullet going 2 to 3 thousand feet per second would start dropping elevation after going through all the metal sheets and bouncing off a block wall, seem like the weight was maintaining elevation pretty well. Maybe close to that 28K!

I found this video on Facebook. I hope it can be viewed from here because it is an important issue. Safety is a big deal. They don't know exactly what happened yet but thank God nobody was hurt except maybe someones ego. The whole video should be watched. The energy involved here stretches the mind.

[FONT="]Be careful guys. We dodged a bullet... - D&J Precision Machine

Paul
[/FONT]

Its the stupidty that blows my mind.
here hold my beer and watch this.

That machine at the very minimum should have had the machine parms set to not exceed 500 RPMS EVER.

A fella I used to work with did training for new CNC mills. One time he said he was training the owner and which ever combination of keystrokes he used, I can’t remeber now but it should of either spun up to previous commanded speed or stopped. It didn’t it spun up to high speed and what was in the spindle which happened to be a dial indicator of some sort took off across the shop. He turned the machine off and called his boss. Somehow the machine got through without final electrical inspection and had some issues. They were resolved and all was well, and training continued a few days later. So it does happen. An extra zero in this case for the S value was all that was required. Who knows if it were machine or operator.

In the comments for the video some people said should of had the door closed, which it probably was anyway, I guess they thought the door was stronger than 3 layers of sheet metal and a chair lol.

It’s good the fellow shared this. As a former controls systems guy, I can say that while maybe it was just operational error but it is always possible for a runaway. Think of the 737 max. Stuff happens. Yikes!

I saw the effects of a half inch piece of tool steel about 3" long come out of a home made flycutter and hit a wooden wall about 8' away. It left a perfectly rectangular hole where it went through.

They had only notched out the end of the flycutter and put in a couple set screws. The set screws didn't get any bite on the tool steel and the screws vibrated loose.

I'm aware of another case where a shop was facing an 8" piece of aluminum round stock a few inches thick. They were tuning it about 3000RPM when it came out of the chuck. Luckily it went out the back of the machine and hit a concrete block wall. It left a half moon shaped gouge about a half inch deep in the concrete block and then climbed the wall to the ceiling before landing on the floor and racing across the shop.

I was actually standing in the area one time when somebody ran a 2" end mill with about 4" flutes into a hardened vice jaw at about 1000RPM. The end mill broke off even with the holder and the flute end took off across the floor. It went all the way across the shop before hitting the wall and stopping.

It's a miracle nobody was hurt in any of these.

Besides what was already stated before, no one mentioned the swivel chair damage.

The angle of the bend means it was angled to begin with so that thing was flying.

How much would a tool like that weight? To keep the same height at that distance with so many impacts, that things has to be heavy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Besides what was already stated before, no one mentioned the swivel chair damage.

The angle of the bend means it was angled to begin with so that thing was flying.

How much would a tool like that weight? To keep the same height at that distance with so many impacts, that things has to be heavy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I suspect that the part was falling, but was deflected up when it hit the swivel chair.

Back