Safety Reminder - Lathe Accident GRAPHIC DEATH - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prayers for the person that shut the machine down. That is severe, and years of nightmares and therapy from seeing that.

2. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    The most useful entries in both cases really make you think "if it could happen to *this* pilot" where the pilot in question was clearly vastly more skilled and trained than I was ever going to be, then "it could happen to *me*"...

For manual machine accidents, sure seems like a number of them are either "things you were told to never do in day 1 of shop class" OR "lots of people do that many times a day every day, what did this person do different?"

There's another deep issue here, which we work with teaching high school robotics students - the lathe isn't a bear, or a deranged terrorist. It won't chase you around the shop like a bear might. To be safe around it, you must UNDERSTAND THE HAZARD.

Stay safe.
    You realize this all applies to viruses, too ?

Statistically, it happens to very few people, so why should we take safety precautions ? We're all going to die anyhow. All this 'safety' crap is just some kind of scam so the illuminati can peddle the protocols of the elders of zion to us freedom-loving machinists And you know who makes money out of it ? Right ! Safety glasses manufacturers, mostly based in Israel ! And steel-toed shoe manufacturers from CHINA ! And libtard osha inspectors !

I say stand up for yourselves and shitcan this authoritarian garbage ! Are we men or mice ? I bet demon's even got a youtube for us ....

4. Likes SIP6A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wish it was rare, in 30 plus years I’d have to grow several arms to use my fingers to count all the people I knew who were, squashed flat, crushed, decapitated, burnt, electrocuted, buiried, gassed, ok you get it, last one fell in a slag Lauder of a blast furnace it isn’t rare at all, ok I get it with the safety shoes and glasses, they aren’t helping you if a bloody big steel beam falls on you so I agree with that bit but have to agree to disagree as to the frequency of fatalities in industry, they are all too common, it’s better than it was, it’s very high in countries like China and India, you don’t hear about it much, quite a sight women in saris and sandals on the casting floor carrying samples and bags of dolomite, China increased steel production at 5Mt per year for the last 10 years I worked, one steel plant Gary sized a year, every year, manned by farmers who for the most part couldn’t read, good recipe for disaster
    Oh and the steel is crap, not because of the equipment, that was state of the art, just not having experienced staff.
    I was watching a guy on YouTube, big lathe, messy working area, poor light and cold ( nice heavy jacket) recently, my toes were curled up when the file came out, I think I’m getting old as I see things differently now, probably too sensitive so don’t take offence, I can still hear things, think 2500 ton extrusion press, you get the idea,
    Mark

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Lesson # 1 : Never try for irony on the internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    ^ Lesson # 1 : Never try for irony on the internet
    If I've told you once, I've told you a quintillion squillion times - don't exaggerate!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was friggin horrible.... definitely grounds for a career change by the unfortunate witnesses who knew the guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Loose clothes around rotating machinery is a big no no. That's one down side to a cold work environment. People tend to wear extra clothes and that can lead to disaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think I'll pass on watching it,too! I don't like using emery in the lathe anyway-maybe very blunted emery on occasion. I've been lucky to never see a serious accident. Heard one several factories away when a welder ignited vapour in a large tank-a loud boom. Also anywhere near a chuck-only bare arms.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Loose clothes around rotating machinery is a big no no.
    Yup, tight blouses and short-shorts all the way, c'mon girls, new work rules ! Safety regulations, you know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And you can forget the "I've done this all my life and never had trouble." viewpoint. Our machinist in an experimental operation was a lifelong one, one of the best I have known. One day he started a lathe with the key on the chuck and broke it off. Not only is to err human, sooner or later it is inevitable. Stay out of the way.

A middle aged nurse, consummate professional, volunteered for a year at the Masanga Leper Colony hospital in Sierra Leon. She thought she had seen about everything but when she came back she had to spend some sessions with a shrink to deal with her nightmares. Shell shock, now called PTSD, doesn't just come from cannon fire.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was a first responder for 25 yrs.(Fire Captain)I have seen some horrible shit.
    This particular video really drove home a point,Complacency Kills!
    Just brings me back to reality that the machine I been with for years will kill you in a heartbeat !
    God Bless That Gentlemans Soul
    RIP

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside Fab View Post
    I wont watch the video, but why would anyone hold emery cloth that tight? You can polish and remove a fair amount of material in short order (with the right grit) without putting all your strength into it. Same thing with files in the lathe, just hold the thing so the tang wont slit your wrist when it bucks.
    NO ! Run the lathe in reverse an hold the file by the "front" end .
    ...lewie...

15. Likes e-fishin-c, boslab, Gobo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't watch the video, flipped through a few pictures but with my wife eating lunch in the room I prudently decided not to even dwell on those. Analogy to flying made earlier, something I learned too clearly while flight instructing: if you get away with something a few times, it must be safe. Too easy to get complacent, we don't really think of it as complacently, just didn't get bit the first 5 times so it's not dangerous.
    Be careful out there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't need to see the footage, I've witnessed enough first hand.
    Saw my dad get his thumb ground into hamburger in a Barber-Coleman gear cutter's differential box.
    I was six. Still can't unsee it 50+ years later.

No rings, no watches, no long sleeves. Ever. Surgical gloves - maybe.
    If it happened to dad, it could happen to me and there's NO WAY I'm taking a chance.

18. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rabler View Post
    I didn't watch the video, flipped through a few pictures but with my wife eating lunch in the room I prudently decided not to even dwell on those. Analogy to flying made earlier, something I learned too clearly while flight instructing: if you get away with something a few times, it must be safe. Too easy to get complacent, we don't really think of it as complacently, just didn't get bit the first 5 times so it's not dangerous.
    Be careful out there.
    It's how my younger brother got killed. Got WAY too cocky in the left seat, bragged about it too. One day, I got the call, and had to identify what was left of him. Had a long, painful talk with the FAA guys too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two stories. First one a guy running a lathe leaning over to file on a shaft and his tee shirt got got in the lead screw. Luckily it was summer in Bakersfield and the shirt was so worn out he braced his arms against the ways and the shirt ripped of him leaving him with shirt sleeves. The other I didn't witness but a coworker was working in a paper plant and a guy reached overhead and touched the paper running through the rolls, sucked him through the rolls and he was about .003" thick

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember reading a survey years ago of fairly serious machinery injuries. They surveyed the accident victims, and while there are always lots of variables, two of the things stood out when they interviewed people:
    a)many said that they either knew outright they were doing something not so safe (usually for expediency), and/or they had that "little voice" telling them they should probably take a bit of extra time to set up the job safely/properly
    b)repetitive operations are specifically more accident-prone

Stay safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is one heck of a sobering video. I just ate lunch and it almost came up watching that guy beat into stew meat.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first job. Guy got smashed in a press. Hazmat did the initial cleanup, but not well. I got to finish a few days later

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

THAT WAS A GOOD ONE! I’m weird and watch all these kinds of videos to try and keep myself out of deaths path (for long as possible at least)

Guy who turned off the machine took one look back too many, looks like he got woozy at the end, poor fellas.

I seen a video of a fella with a southbend 16 lathe just like mine, he had a piece of work poking about 8” out the back of the headstock with a rough cut burr on it.

He got up (left the lathe running a cut) and walked around the lathe and the work caught his shirt and twisted it up so tight he couldn’t breath, move nor escape, lathe stalled and smoked the belt right off releasing him but by that time he was dead.