What's new
What's new

Salt air and a lathe

It would be much cooler so rust would be slower to eat away into the metal. Seldom over 75.
Bill D.

I read a book on corrosion that once temps fall below 45 F. corrosion rates plummet. In fact the corrosion rates in arctic tundra come close to the desert in Arizona. The tundra is not as dry but the temp compensates.

I saw that lathe the other day (looking for some other stuff). Just passed by thinking -- "do I have any place to put this?" The answer was "no" and I didn't stop to inspect it. But, it didn't look all that bad, with a bit of oil added on it to prevent further rusting. What jumped out at me was the missing removable bit of ways near the chuck. Not sure that's still around or easily put back if it is. It wouldn't be someone's only lathe for precision stuff, but the extra swing and center distance might be a useful complement to something like an HLV-H.

The dealer is a decent and honest guy -- and I suspect it actually would clean up to be a decent lathe. Biggest surprise, for me, is Bob (the dealer) writing that this might be made in Canada. He's handled and even repaired several Harrison's before. Could also and likely be someone else did the listing. I'm pretty sure it's English-made, like every other Harrison I've seen (or owned), up to the 600 Group purchase of Harrison (and Colchester) and the much later move to manufacturing some models in China.

As for salt air -- I see damage to things like steel and even aluminum framed windows along the coast. But I've seen maybe a hundred lathes in various places around the Coast looking nicely oiled without a bit of corrosion. And others a thousand miles inland rusted solid. That lathe was probably bone dry of oil on the exposed surfaces, maybe with a coat of garage dust and sawdust, and subject to condensing humidity. Salt air wouldn't have helped, but it wasn't the cause IMO.

Just as an aside, when I lived on the East Coast cars would rust out in a few years. On the West Coast, cars I've sold to neighbors and friends still look near new 30 years later. Some of that is better rust proofing. But overall I'd sure rather taste a bit of salt in the air with waves crashing on this coast, than drive on salted roads elsewhere.

I saw that lathe the other day (looking for some other stuff). Just passed by thinking -- "do I have any place to put this?" The answer was "no" and I didn't inspect it. But, it didn't look all that bad, with a bit of oil added on it to prevent further rusting.
LOL... just now seeing this topic and I was about to post "now counting the seconds before someone here says "actually the ways don't look all that bad..." maybe... but it's so disgusting overall I can't see messing with it even if it was free. Although it could make for a pretty dramatic "before and after" photo shoot for someone that has absolutely nothing better to do. Logically however, unless your labor is free or "of love" , even if the Harrison was five bucks....it would be cheaper to buy a similar lathe that needs no de-rusting.

Not to mention the health hazards of inhaling air born rust particles during the "restoration"

Looks to be very close to "Boat Mooring Quality". Drain the oil out first because it is not really big enough to be dropped as an artificial reef.
But somebody will take a liking to it and bring it home like a scraggy mutt from a shelter and clean it up and love it. Or maybe a Scruffy Mutt. But not this Scruffy.

It’s not the location it’s the care

Most ships have a lathe and it’s not rusty. Friend of mine has one off the CGC Chulia built during WW 2 good running order today.

Boats

It's possible it's a government sale lathe. Some come out of an atmosphere controlled warehouse but others are not. My son is in the Army. A while ago the shop wanted a new CNC mill, they were told OK BUT they had one too many machines so they had to select one to get rid of. Only one they were not using was a late purchase manual mill, hardly used but they didn't need it as they had a few other manual machines. To take it to DRMO to be sold it had to be de-greased so that no oils could contaminate the ground. Machine was cleaned with a solvent then detergent, well cleaned then stored outside at the DRMO, last I've heard it was still outside after about 8 months in Georgia weather. One other issue not seen is outside storage will collect Dew in the inside, the dew being De-ionized water is very hungry! It will collect in the bearings under what ever oil is on the bearing and not evaporate quickly eating up the bearings! I found this out when I purchased a K&T mill stored outside, under roof, covered with tarp and all ways and table covered with grease. Machine looked great! No rust anywhere except when I got it home and drained the oil about a quart of water came out! Just about all the bearings had to be replaces. Fortunately the expensive spindle bearings were in good shape being it was a Vertical mill! I'm willing to bet that machine in the photos will need new spindle bearings!

It's in the "for sale by dealer" category. Lol.

Yeah, that'll buff right out. :nutter:

I maintain a number of metalworking machines in a coastal shop located about 60 feet from the ocean's edge. No rust to be seen on any. I agree completely with the view that natural "salt air" is not in and of itself going to mess up a properly maintained machine.

Incidently, I also happen to agree with milacron's assessment (post #11) of that object in the OP ad.

-Marty-

Back