What's new
What's new

Salvage 3 phase motor from Front Load Wash, home made wood lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta Charlie

Plastic
Hi all, some might find this interesting. It all started with a front load washing machine left out for trash two doors down from where I work.

Went back with the forklift and stuck a fork in the open door and took it back to our shop. Later I pulled a pristine 3 phase induction motor out of it and started to think I need to make something cool out of it.

The idea of a home made wood lathe was born.

Getting the motor to self start was interesting. I made up a two switch box with the second switch down stream of the main. Original thinking was I would use a start capacitor to get it going then switch it off. But this also let me test other capacitors by cutting them in and out of the circuit. After some trial and error I found this motor likes a 60 MFD run capacitor left in the circuit. The start torque is not great but is enough to get things going and most interesting to me was with the motor spinning on 1 phase AC the amp draw was abt 2.8 amps and if I added loading by by griping the test shaft with my hands the current jumps up with increased load. On the other hand with the 60 MFD run capacitor in the circuit the amp draw was abt 2.2 amps and would drop when a load was added. I thought that was very interesting.

Attachments

• FrontLoadWashMotorLatheProject.jpg
    FrontLoadWashMotorLatheProject.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 95
Here is a picture that shows the switch box and run capacitor much better. Best guess is the motor is around 1/2 HP or so but I would think this could be scaled up to run bigger 3 phase motors direct from 1 phase source. LatheProjectSwitchView.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back