What's new
What's new

Salvage or scrap rack and pinion. Where to get?

Find someone scrapping an old lathe ...there is your rack and pinion .....I'd give you one ,if you pulled it out yourself ........a car rack and pinion is quite complex,unless its used as a complete unit,even then it will have a hydraulic cylinder incorporated.

Find someone scrapping an old lathe ...there is your rack and pinion .....I'd give you one ,if you pulled it out yourself ........a car rack and pinion is quite complex,unless its used as a complete unit,even then it will have a hydraulic cylinder incorporated.

It's not that bad - extra seals can be removed, and if electric, the drive motor gearing can be decoupled. And the nice thing about steering racks is they're robust and already have the mechanism geometry fixed in place, no need to make your own. Even if the stock configuration can't be used, the guts can be taken as needed.

I don't know if you have the equivalent of Harbor Freight (basically cheap imported tools) but they have a one ton arbor press for $50.00. There's your rack and pinion.

I need a small bit of rack 10-12 inches and a simple toothered gear to engauge with it. Anyone know where's s good place to find this as scrap or second hand.

Regards
Ivan.

Lots of radial arm drills use a rack and pinion to power the drilling head along the arm. " Asquith " thought out of the box and went one better on their drills. They used a length of bike chain and a sprocket. Any good for you ?

Regards Tyrone.

Back