What's new
What's new

Sanity Check on my BP Manual. Grease on Bridgeport Ways?

Leaky88

Plastic
When I purchased my BP I was warned to never use grease on the ways. Only way oil. Being new to Mills, I never contested it and the One-Shot Oiler schematic served to enforce the use of oil only.

I have a REPRODUCED manual for my BP and I do read/refer to manuals despite what my wife might say.

Anyway, while looking at the manual this weekend I noticed “GREASE” was called out for the ways. At least in the book I have. Ref: bottom Left corner.

Just curious if anyone has the original Manual which WRONGLY states to use GREASE too.

Thanks

Leaky

Attachments

• 9E5BFB70-4C35-4D8D-87F5-F247CB0B43A8.jpg
    9E5BFB70-4C35-4D8D-87F5-F247CB0B43A8.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 128
FWIW, there can be a bit of a fuzzy line between grease and oil. You can get liquid grease which is basically really thick mineral oil.
That said, maybe Bridgeport had a revelation or change of heart somewhere along the line, who knows.

Bearing grease will make an unholy mess of the ways, probably stick the table to the ways & will need a full disassembly to clean it out. They manual is not talking about one of the NLGI greases eg #2 or whatever, but a liquid grease of viscosity not unlike steam cylinder oil. #2 Vactra or equivalent is the right stuff. Its easy to convert a small grease gun for use with it, the zerk fittings are convenient for oil; goes in under pressure so oil gets out onto the way surfaces, but keeps dirt out too.

Thanks, all points taken.
I’ve only used Way Oil, no grease.
I Never had any inkling of using grease of any kind thanks to listening to more experienced people.
But, I’ve read many accounts of used machines being bought which were incorrectly lubed with grease or as Chipsplitter/GregMenke pointed out, the wrong class of grease.
When I saw the word “grease” in my manual, the word just seemed larger than any other word in the text and wondered if it, and the zerk fittings accounted for incorrect and damaging practice of using incorrect lubricant.
Appreciate the feedback. I’ll make the Pen and Ink correction in my manual, and move on. :)
Thanks
Leaky

I’ll make the Pen and Ink correction in my manual, and move on. :)

Sometimes even the OEM makes mistakes;). Most makers are looking for ways to better there machines and often the various improvements that end up in later model machinery don't involve the old machines and old literature already in the field, but the way-oil/grease thing is one where I think the Bridgeport Alumni world has had to take a step back and rethink their practices.

Every now and then, someone pops up who greases their mill with axle grease because "that's what the good book says!" and swears that it has no adverse effects. But there's also people who think the world is flat too, so I try to ignore them.

I was interested to see the attachment, but its kind of unreadable - too small/low a resolution and sideways. Could you repost it?

Don't know for how long, but there was a period that Bridgeport specified grease. Mine was a 1966 model and was specified with Shell Alvania Grease 2 / Mobil Gargoyle Grease Sovorex No. 1. The updated grease I used was Mobil XHP 222 - 220 viscosity.

My BIL now has the machine and grease is all that it has ever seen in its life and has had no ill effects because of it.

Years ago I was going to convert it to ways oil, but was warned that you have to take the ways apart and clean them of all the grease before you convert or it could be problematic. Never did it.

Bearing grease will make an unholy mess of the ways, probably stick the table to the ways & will need a full disassembly to clean it out.

Nope. Not 'probably.'

Definitely!

You are hearing this from a fool who did exactly that, pumped a bport table *full* of bearign grease. In my defence:

1) this machine had zerk fittings on the ways.
2) there was a grease gun within easy reach.
3) was not my machine, I just used it, and wanted to be a good citizen and clean and lube it.

Yeah, that table locked up hard. I did not see the aftermath, but I heard about it. I did confess my sin
right away, and the grease gun was never to be seen around there again.

Evidently zerk fittings are also used for oil guns....

Hopefully this image is better.

While at it, could someone please tell me the purpose of this knob?
There is one on each side of the column.

Thanks.
Leaky

Attachments

• Knob on BP.JPG
    Knob on BP.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Manual 2.jpg
    Manual 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 51
Earlier manuals called for Grease. I've used grease for 50 yrs with no ill effects.
I would think that BP engineers would know what they were doing.With the one shot lube systems they use oil and yes you can use a grease gun with oil but the dammed leak and make a mess.

lol, I did it to my Nichols horizontal- I was skeptical but the previous owner had used grease so I did too. The table didn't <actually> stick, since the production lever feed could apply sufficient force to make it move, and the knee was heavy enough to move also.. but the machine was very unhappy. I got all the parts back off using the shop crane and grease ended up all over everything during the cleanup. Chips stick in the grease the weeps out all over the inside of the knee casting and on the exposed way surfaces, turning into little razors stuck everywhere that have to be scrubbed off with mineral spirits or diesel or gasoline depending on how horrible the mess is.

Another Nichols owner traced the grease specified in its manual to a high viscosity liquid grease; not bearing grease.

The only time you should grease the ways on a machine tool is if it's being put into storage. Even then you only coat the ways with it, you wouldn't pump any into the machine via the nipples.

Regards Tyrone.

Looks like a mount for a light, but I could be wrong.

That's my guess too.

My Lagun FTV-1 has a lube spec plate riveted on it. It spec's a 220 something gear oil for the ways. Weird, but, I bought the gear oil. Seemed like the Y-axis was stickier than it ought to be (It IS tight). Got me wondering. One day looking thru the manual I found it's spec'd as Waylube #2. Back to the plate, which is a bit confusing, and I find out it's for one of their bigger machines that has power feed gear in the knee. Gear lube makes sense for that, of course.

Don't know without looking at it again if it has a separate spec on it for #2, or if they've done something odd and use the gear lube for the ways. Seems like a dumb idea considering the kind of crud that winds up in gearboxes. So I probably just didn't read it right.

Back