What's new
What's new

Saw blades

Glenn lefley

Plastic
I am looking for help advice on setups I could buy to get into sharpeninand repairing saw blades. Nobody does it in our area and getting tired of sending blades out.

I here Tom waltz was a saw blade guy.
Could any one help me with a machine setup etc I would need to get started,

Thanks. Glenn.

Foley-Belsaw, now part of sharpeningsupplies.com, has been the go-to source for small scale sharpening machines for decades. You could probably do a better and more comprehensive job with a full-size tool and cutter grinder, but most of the FB machines will sit on a benchtop, not eat 16 square feet of your floor space.

Could be there's a market for this in your area -- if only for yourself. However one thing to consider is that many and maybe most of the saw blades used in construction are now, essentially, throw-aways. About as cheap to buy a new carbide-tipped blade for a Skilsaw or Unisaw as have one properly re-toothed and sharpened.

My first 10" saw blade was likely HSS, wore quickly, and probably cost $40 in today's dollars. Today a cheap 10" 60 tooth carbide-tipped saw blade is $20. Hard to make a living sharpening those, by the time you braze on a new tooth or two, shape it, and then touch up 60 teeth . . . Hardware stores around here are doing trade-ins (circular saws, hole saws, etc.) for around half new price -- but I'd assume the trade-ins are done on pretty pricey automated equipment.

There's still a need and a market for quality $100+ blades - and resharpening them. Especially for cold saws, where the blades are even pricier. But it's not what it used to be.

I suppose the silver lining is that used Foley rigs, noted above, will probably be more affordable?

Back 20 years ago when I was involved in the machine knife business, there was little money in saw blade sharpening unless you were doing large band saw and circular blades for large lumber mills. It still did not generate the per-hour money that other types of knife sharpening did. Most of the saw sharpening was done to support the sale of new product. Saw sharpening for consumers was done more as a favor. Turning away any customer was not the best marketing.

Bill

What everyone is saying is true but if you have companies cutting wood for cabinet making a professionally sharpen blade is essential. I rented a building to a guy making kitchen cabinets, his blades were all professionally sharpened, they also didn't look like the typical saw blade. When he cut wood with them they looked as if they were cut with a knife!

The crowd doing my blades had a CNC machine that must have got to know each blade............they used to load it with blades and it would go through them without any further attention.Any blade with busted teeth was just tossed ,and you were billed for a new one in the sharpening bill.

I have an Autool TCT-2 saw grinding machine that is a popular British tool for grinding tungsten carbide saw blades. It has attachments for sharpening bed knives and milling cutters. Has a new diamond wheel in addition to the one on the machine. I do not have room for it in my new Florida residence and reluctantly offer it for sale. Very good condition on custom stand. $500 if you arrange pick up and shipment. You can view it on the web, or I can send photos to your web address.

I have an Autool TCT-2 saw grinding machine that is a popular British tool for grinding tungsten carbide saw blades. It has attachments for sharpening bed knives and milling cutters. Has a new diamond wheel in addition to the one on the machine. I do not have room for it in my new Florida residence and reluctantly offer it for sale. Very good condition on custom stand. $500 if you arrange pick up and shipment. You can view it on the web, or I can send photos to your web address.

what is the voltage/hz? and what area of florida?

Back