What's new
What's new

SawMaster Power HackSaw

Aluminum
I mpicked this up for 15.00 this morning.It seems to be almost all there.I have never heard of this brand.....Thanks for looking.

SawMaster.jpg

It sorta looks like a KELLER
I had a heavier Keller with a cast iron base and coolant tank built in. Worked well, but nothing beats a Marvel.

For me the big advantage is that it uses hacksaw blades. Changing blades for different materials ia a snap and cheap to boot.

Rob

What're the advantages of a power hacksaw over a bandsaw?
Really, there are no advantages to a powerhack.. They are considered obsolete, compared to a bandsaw.

But I have never seen a Marvel, Wells or Kalamazoo band saw sell for 15 dollars. For a home shop, a powerhack is a great machine. They usually sell cheaply, they are simple & reliable, and blades are cheap, although I wonder if the might start getting scarce in a few years, since there is very little demand for them anymore. I woumd up with a bunch of Starrett P/H blades in a deal, a few years ago. I set them back, in case I ever find a nice P/H saw..

Hate to resusitate an old thred, just got the same saw in real good condition for cheap and it looked pretty cool. I like old tools a lot and I couldnt resist.

So did you ever get this thing going?

Hate to resusitate an old thred, just got the same saw in real good condition for cheap and it looked pretty cool. I like old tools a lot and I couldnt resist.

So did you ever get this thing going?

I haven't yet its on the list but there were other before it..

Interesting that it cuts on the push stroke. Does the geometry still work to slightly raise the blade on the return stroke?

I have an older 6x6 Peerless that cuts straight, square, and better than a new "inexpensive" import bandsaw for much less money.

PS. Mine doesn't have the O/A hookups shown in the first picture. I'm sure that speeds up cutting. :)

Last edited:
Every thing works except the motor, it was under 4' of water after Ivan went through here. I hope to be able to get it fixed because it was the original motor.

I also got a old 4x6 band saw from Thailand from him that was under water also, the motor was fine bur the drive wheel bearing was froze up.

Funny how things work.:confused:.

bandsaw myth- broken tooth

I was just about to post a new thread about power hacksaws vs bandsaws, then this one appeared. Spooky.

Anyway, I was going to ask if there is any advantage to the hacksaw. I can see how being able to quickly change the blade would be a nice feature.

However, I have an MSC 7x12 bandsaw with coolant pump and this thing is sweet! With a variable pitch blade, it seems to cut everything I throw at it with aplomb. Hard to see how a power hack could beat it.

A welder friend of mine repeats the same line whenever the subject of metal cutting bandsaws comes up- "if you have a broken tooth on a bandsaw, then it will strip them all off". This is, of course, nonsense, but I really don't want to argue with him. I believe I have developed a broken tooth on my 7x12 because there is now a discernable "clunk" as it goes around- and it just keeps on cutting. Anybody ever seen this problem?

get both

I have a large keller hack that I have used to cut 8 inch solid for a power hammer i used the hack because the darn hunk of metal was so heavy that it would have crushed my well saw bandsaw. Plus the blades are cheap I have ones that look like they are for wood. I was considering selling my hack saw but I keep thinking what if I need it. I just bought a 14inch bewo coldsaw and that is what I use the most but the power hack is great for the really nasty tough stuff that would kill your bandsaw.

Nice saw, I got this one for 40 dollars, It uses 14 inch blades . I thought mine was a racine. No brand lable on the saw either. All these small p/hacksaws look pretty much the same until they start getting bigger. Great buy on yours you beat my deal!!
William

P1010012.jpg

P1010084-1.jpg

Really, there are no advantages to a powerhack.. They are considered obsolete, compared to a bandsaw.

But I have never seen a Marvel, Wells or Kalamazoo band saw sell for 15 dollars. For a home shop, a powerhack is a great machine. They usually sell cheaply, they are simple & reliable, and blades are cheap, although I wonder if the might start getting scarce in a few years, since there is very little demand for them anymore. I woumd up with a bunch of Starrett P/H blades in a deal, a few years ago. I set them back, in case I ever find a nice P/H saw..

Got this one for free. It was going to be demo in a building.

This is how I spent my christmas vacation.
http://www.timbauer.org/gallery/Bandsaw?page=1

Last edited:
Nice saws NewbieMachinist you did a good job painting them. I guess I should tell the truth here I got the little hack saw because I just wanted one.

After its cleaned up and painted it mite not ever get pluged in...:D

A welder friend of mine repeats the same line whenever the subject of metal cutting bandsaws comes up- "if you have a broken tooth on a bandsaw, then it will strip them all off". This is, of course, nonsense, but I really don't want to argue with him. I believe I have developed a broken tooth on my 7x12 because there is now a discernable "clunk" as it goes around- and it just keeps on cutting. Anybody ever seen this problem?

Ironhoarder, what your welding friend says has merit. If you break a tooth off, the chances of it getting stuck in the cut are almost certain. As the blade tries to continue cutting, the rest of the teeth are dragged across the piece of broken tooth, causing them to dull or break another tooth, giving even more resistance to the rest of the teeth, and the final results are either a dull blade, or a stripped one. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen that way a lot more than you might think. If you use a blade with a broken tooth to make another cut, you just get the clunk.

David from jax

Hey there 7018, When I bought my saw, it was missing the tension screw and springs. Is there any way you could get me a few pics of the screws. I need to fabricate new ones.

If you do, I will send you a pair of HArbor Freight Ratchkeys in the mail. I got a bunch from a friend that was working there that got them at a crazy discount.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95473

Leo
Tejano I'll get them tomorrow I'll even take them off and get the measurements That should help you...

Back