What's new
What's new

SCA (Swedish-made) lathe chucks

specfab

Titanium
Just wondered if anyone has any experience/commentary about SCA chucks, which are made in Sweden. I'm scouting around for a good-quality new 3-jaw, and see a few of these offered on eBay as NOS, from the description. They seem comparable price-wise to a Bison, which was my primary target. Mulling over 6" or 8" choice, Leaning toward 6" to replace my well-used Pratt-Burnerd.

Many years ago, MSC had them in their catalog, and even sold individual parts for them. No longer. I wonder if SCA went out of business.

I can say that they made a good chuck, but not proof against abuse. I got a nice-looking 6" 3-jaw on eBay years ago. It had a bent gear tooth on the scroll. My guess is that it was used to make thousands of identical parts, using an impact wrench to over-tighten the jaws, always hammering away on that one gear tooth, which was the only damage I could see. I never did spend any time looking for a new scroll, beyond seeing that MSC no longer listed them.

Larry

Thanks for the info. I have since found that Marshall Tool appears to be selling them, as well as standard repair parts such as scrolls, pinions, and replacement jaws, just FYI. does look as though larger sizes seem to be more popular if the internet catalog is any indication.

What fun is it to use a 3-jaw scroll chuck WITHOUT an air tool for tightening? ;-/

Matt

Being close to Sweden we see those SCA chucks a lot here. Super good stuff. I bought a 300 mm some years ago for a H. Ernalut Cholet lathe. Price was close to 4000 US$ new from SCA.

Matt:

Sometime around thirty-five years ago, I made the major investment ( close to $1000) in a
10" Buck Adjust-Tru for my 19" Le Blond which is a main workhorse here.

Ten or fifteen years of heavy use later, it was getting worn and losing accuracy.
And I had always grumbled that it had only one tightening stud.

I replaced it with an S C A (adjust tru type) and it is working every day and in very good condition.

The S C A has three tightening studs and was claimed to have a harder and better finished scroll
and tooth surfaces which tighten more securely AND I FULLY ENDORSE!!!!

petersen

skand chuck

Hi Matt Do you have a address for Marshall tools. I have looked on line with on luck. As I am in the UK. I have just acquired a very nice 200mm skand chuck. I am having difficulty finding a set of in side jaws. thank for your post
john campbell

I have seen the buck chucks wear fairly fast also.
The reason the Buck has one pinion is because you can only use the pinion that was used to tighten the work when the chuck body adjust true feature is used.
Most good chucks, have one pinion marked as the master pinion, the one used for tightening, the other two should be used for loosening.
It is that way because of the internal clearances needed to operate. Each pinion will push the internals slightly different. The one that is marked, is the one used the final grind the jaws.
A worn chuck often will run better on an unmarked pinion.
The Buck single pinion seems to get alot of wear.

Hi Matt Do you have a address for Marshall tools. I have looked on line with on luck. As I am in the UK. I have just acquired a very nice 200mm skand chuck. I am having difficulty finding a set of in side jaws. thank for your post
john campbell

Hello, John -- It appears that Marshall Tool and Supply has become PTSolutions. You can use www-dot-marshalltool-dot-com and get there. PTSolutions seems to carry SCA chucks. Not known if they still carry repair parts or accessories.

Back