What's new
What's new

Schedule 40 1.5" to 2.5" oval?

winmutt

Plastic
Working on a project where I need to reduce from a 2.5" oval to 1.5" pipe. These concentric pipe reducers look cast and I don't think I can press it into an oval without cracking. Can I press the pipe?

Sorry for the noobish questions, I'm just a Joe in a garage with a dream.

Probably should provide more details to get a good response. Things like pressure required, if the joint has to withstand heat, whether turbulent flow would be a problem, etc.

Generally speaking 1.5" pipe - black or galvanized - is of such crap quality today that it's unlikely you can predictably form it to an oval simply by pressing it. But lots of other ways to make the transition.

If you heat that pipe it will bend and stay bent after it cools. Take a heat gun (or torch if you are careful) and heat the pipe until it is soft. Put it in a vise and squish it to the proper shape. When it cools it will stay that way. I've done it many times so this is not a BS answer.

If you heat that pipe it will bend and stay bent after it cools. Take a heat gun (or torch if you are careful) and heat the pipe until it is soft. Put it in a vise and squish it to the proper shape. When it cools it will stay that way. I've done it many times so this is not a BS answer.

I doubt a heat gun or an air/propane torch would get it hot enough . oxy propane or oxy acetylene.

Tom

This should be a good job for all those new Blacksmith's out there.

As stated above, get a weld fitting (tube turns) and have a blacksmith
go at it, insert a rod in the end of the desired round end to maintian
shape/size.

No, it can't be done. Never has, never will. And don't even think about trying it, because, god forbid you learn something new. I mean, what the fuck would happen if you try new things and learn. Where would the world be if people tried stuff, and learned stuff, for fucks sake. Shit, think about it. You'd be able to ask a question on a forum and get an answer. Or even worse, you could answer a question on a forum, with actual experience. Holy shit, no way, batman.

Stay meek, feeble, and stupid my friends.

You are absolutely right TG. For some weird reason I thought he meant PVC or something like that. After gently wafting my head from my ass I realized he is talking about cast pipe. No way in the world a heat gun is going to work on that unless it's some kind of nuclear heat gun used to forge Dildoneum. After actually reading the post again with head un-inserted, I would say it can't be done properly even with a lot of heat. In my minds eye I can see that totally going to crap in a hurry. The only way I would even attempt it is to put in in my forge and get it cherry red then squish it in the vise. Very dicey results.

Back