What's new
What's new

Scrap carbide pricing? (Feb 2017)

Milland

Diamond
Hi all,
Yes, it's a thread that comes up frequently, but pricing and "go to" recyclers shift so often that a search isn't always helpful.

Who are people using for their scrap carbide now? I've got a small amount (under 50lbs), but I want to deal with a good recycler who's got decent pricing. Any recommendations welcome...

$5.00/lb :eek: I wouldn't even think about that. 2014 I got over $12.00

Yeah, these are the bad old days... :(

I went with machinetoolrecyclers.com, which quoted $6.75 for round tools and inserts, and $5.75 for some odd tungsten mechanical parts I had (small "U" shapes). I spoke with Jon, seemed straightforward.

I did call ibuyscrapcarbide.com, they were a straight $6. I tried a place in Cali that didn't deal below a 100lbs.

dunno, but everything's down a lot

china stopped their frenzied buying

Just at scrap yard. Not selling but buying. They went up 20% across the board on what they sell to public. Said "market is booming, what we get for it went up so we had to go up on sale price".

I smell a scam....

Back in 08-09 I sold some online for $10.50. a Lb.
Packed carefully and double boxed in a flat rate USPS box.
The woman at the post office had trouble lifting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Just at scrap yard. Not selling but buying. They went up 20% across the board on what they sell to public. Said "market is booming, what we get for it went up so we had to go up on sale price".

I smell a scam....

Count yourself lucky

Nowhere around here will sell to the public, or businesses that aren't buying trainloads. I've even tried the places 50 miles north out of the cities.

Well, while you all sit on large qty's waiting for the price increase, you can utilize
your scrap carbide as "tumbler media" to deburr parts with.

And when the price goes up, empty the tumbler out and sell the carbide.
No harm done to scrap carbide eh ?

Sort of doing "double duty" ....:D

Well, while you all sit on large qty's waiting for the price increase, you can utilize
your scrap carbide as "tumbler media" to deburr parts with.

And when the price goes up, empty the tumbler out and sell the carbide.
No harm done to scrap carbide eh ?

Sort of doing "double duty" ....:D

LOL... I could take a hammer and break the flutes off a pile of 3/4" endmills. THAT should bang up some parts...:crazy:

Yes, I know I'm bringing up an old thread.
Today I was offered $7.00 / Lb. I have not found better in 3 years.
Anybody got better offers?

I'm still kicking myself for holding 1,000 lbs of it in 2012 when I was offered $14.50... thought I had "money in the bank" for a rainy day :eek::angry:

LOL... I could take a hammer and break the flutes off a pile of 3/4" endmills. THAT should bang up some parts...:crazy:

Yes, I know I'm bringing up an old thread.
Today I was offered $7.00 / Lb. I have not found better in 3 years.
Anybody got better offers?

I'm still kicking myself for holding 1,000 lbs of it in 2012 when I was offered $14.50... thought I had "money in the bank" for a rainy day :eek::angry:

Depends on what it is.

I think you should be able to get 7.50 for some, namely inserts, drills and end mills.

I need 100 pounds or so of carbide end mills in resharpenable condition. I pay 10.50 per pound. 3/8 through 3/4 with 3+ flutes. No previous regrinds please.

Yeah, these are the bad old days... :(

I went with machinetoolrecyclers.com, which quoted $6.75 for round tools and inserts, and $5.75 for some odd tungsten mechanical parts I had (small "U" shapes). I spoke with Jon, seemed straightforward.

I did call ibuyscrapcarbide.com, they were a straight $6. I tried a place in Cali that didn't deal below a 100lbs.

Did you like machinetoolrecyclers.com? Did you have any issues?

Anyone else have a better scrap price out there recently?

Back