In Search of Gift for Machinist Husband - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once, my wife baked me a cake shaped like a micrometer. I thought that was pretty rad. And delicious!

2. Likes NMScott, Bobw, motion guru, eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife did in fact buy me a nice Gerstner many years ago (looking at their site it's a 2610 at $1895) but I'm sure that it didn't cost *that* much at the time. I've since added another (bought from the classifieds back in the day) and the appropriate bases. I see them as good toolboxes and use them to keep my tools in, so they're where the mics and such are when they're not on the bench. Not going to store them away, they're made to be used and should be.

(Just looked - 20 years ago it was the #52 Journeyman and cost $720. I'm pretty sure SWMBO bought mine almost 10 years earlier.)

4. Likes NMScott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Once, my wife baked me a cake shaped like a micrometer. I thought that was pretty rad. And delicious!
    My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday years ago. I told her a blonde with big tits. ( sorry Ms Scott)

She baked a cake and used cupcakes as tits. I took it to the shop and it was a hit.

6. Likes Garwood, Bobw, NMScott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday years ago. I told her a blonde with big tits. ( sorry Ms Scott)

She baked a cake and used cupcakes as tits. I took it to the shop and it was a hit.
    Natural cupcake size are waaaay more effective "primers" than forty double-dee, siliconized. DAMHIKT. I'd hafta claim I heard it from the grownups.

Once thought to gift an earlier shift of wife with a keychain as read:

"Best F**k in the State of Virginia."

Thankfully the vendor was friend enough to tell me:

"BAD idea! She'll naturally want to know when and how you made the comparison survey!"

How about making him a sign from "Hacker's Laws" for the shop wall.

God, in her infinite wisdom, has granted you a "shop".
    It is meant to keep you out of pubs and brothels.
    Screw that deal up at peril of your immortal soul.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Chinese New Years? They are preparing food a good 12 hours day for about two WEEKS in advance, several variations on "radish cake" and several types of Won Ton dumplings among my favourites. Don't even THINK about buying this stuff in the frozen-goods section of an Asian market. It just ain't even CLOSE to the same.
    So you want her to take him to Hong Kong for dinner ?

I think the Gerstner is cheaper

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would have to agree with the Lista Vidmar suggestion. Hands down the best tool box available. Almost impossible to overload them and the slides always work

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    So you want her to take him to Hong Kong for dinner ?

I think the Gerstner is cheaper
    Not really. Check your off-peak air fares.

Cheaper than IAD to Jackson Hole, Wyoming where a relative by marriage once ran a "Quiznos".

Person can get better food than THAT at any dirt-paved bicycle and footpath intersection in backwoods no mains electricity nor flush-toilet high-altitude Northwest Barefoot China.

CAVEAT: The lovely Li River trip by tour boat? Head for the loo. Look down. That's the river, not a holding tank. Now go up to the bow. Note the food being prepped on the fantail of the boat ahead. Raw water source is the river.

Back to the lounge:

- Note all the tourists scarfing up the scrumptious food prepared on board.

- Note all the Cantonese and "Old Asia Hand" Gweilo drinking bottled water, munching seaweed, dried fruits, jerky, dried squid, sesame crackers, and such they brought on-board with them.

Wide range of experiences, China has on the menu.

Mate of mine opened his Beijing office 'bout a quattah century back, he was "issued" office space. And "issued" staff to run it.

Turned out to be a superbly competent lady the PRC Gov sent him.

His joke? "We say that the Corporate novation and Corporate Secretary business isn't exactly rocket science."

"But they just sent me a super-sharp gal with a Masters In Aeronautical Engineering who had been working as one of the design team - 'Long March' rocket project."

No joke. Chinese DO TOO have a sense of humour, even if it is reserved by the Chinese wimmin' for their own amusement only let out on short-term loan to their menfolk.

As usual, worldwide. T'was ever thus. Just Deal With That.

I mean.. a Chinese tai tai as gifted her good LOOKING new husband with a "Chinese name" on his otherwise prestigeous biz card that means "premature ejaculation?"

He kinda sheepishly presents it with a lame excuse at a banquet? She says to all in earshot "Well that IS your problem!".

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Person can get better food than THAT at any dirt-paved bicycle and footpath intersection in backwoods no mains electricity nor flush-toilet high-altitude Northwest Barefoot China.
    I don't mind dongbei food but there's a saying, "food in the south is good so it comes on small dishes, food in the north is bad so you get a lot on big dishes." Hong Kong / Guangzhou generally is very picky about food quality.

Not sure what that says about US food, nowadays when visiting we've learned to order one dish and share. How the heck do people eat so much ?

CAVEAT: The lovely Li River trip by tour boat? Head for the loo. Look down. That's the river, not a holding tank. Now go up to the bow. Note the food being prepped on the fantail of the boat ahead. Raw water source is the river.
    Lots of that stuff has changed drastically, especially over the past year. But .... not Li jiang, this was on the night ferry from Korea. A friend and I head back to find the pee room. Turn the corner, the cook is cutting up a German Shepherd. Friend about lost it right there, and he's Chinese In fact, Chinese people do not eat dog that much but the Koreans apparently do. At least on this boat ...

I do watch for the cheap fares but they are seldom when I want to go. So I doubt that op is going to bring hubby to kong for dinner and a singsong girl, even if it was only the price of a Kennedy

(If you do go, make sure to try the drunken shrimp !)

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    My wife did in fact buy me a nice Gerstner many years ago (looking at their site it's a 2610 at $1895) ...

(Just looked - 20 years ago it was the #52 Journeyman and cost $720. I'm pretty sure SWMBO bought mine almost 10 years earlier.)
    Bought mine in the mid-seventies, they had a gravel-voiced old lady who took orders then, whatta ya want, honey ? She suggested a second for $180. The big one with two handbook drawers, one on each side. Walnut. Red felt. Bling bling bling

When it came, it took me twenty minutes to figure out why it was a second. Had a couple tiny little flaws, after one week in the shop those were eclipsed by the normal wear marks.

This fits my impression that everything you might want to buy has gone up by a factor of ten. Except, as a sophomore then, I was making $5/hr. Cash.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

..food in the north is bad so you get a lot on big dishes." Hong Kong / Guangzhou generally is very picky about food quality.
    Not yet then formal b'in Law was head of NCR China Trade, got stuck in Beijing for the Hols. Staff tried to make it up to him with 40 dishes.

But it was still Beijing, right? FORTY different types of WHEAT dumplings! And Johnny a Teo Chow? Depute then CFO, AT&T, based Tokyo & Houston seemed far the better deal!

Not sure what that says about US food, nowadays when visiting we've learned to order one dish and share. How the heck do people eat so much ?
    They don't. Eat so much. They like a wide variety and to eat a few bites of a dozen things. Chinese dishes are MEANT to be shared.

That's why THREE is a practical minimum, even for a light dim-sum luncheon with too few dishes to be much use.

Cell-phones light-up, instant quora assemble, family, old school chums, tennis mates, fellow staff from a former employer, somebody's kids - whatever it takes to at least fill half a table meant for 10 to 13 souls.

Turn the corner, the cook is cutting up a German Shepherd. Friend about lost it right there, and he's Chinese In fact, Chinese people do not eat dog that much but the Koreans apparently do. At least on this boat ...
    Our clan are proud as punch that in all the years from Shi Huang Di through revolutions and Japanese invasion they have NEVER eaten dog or cat, nor ever even ONCE bought or sold a child.

Mind, could was dog, cat, and soup of some other starving family's child are the only thing on Earth or in the sea they have NOT eaten, but still.. it's a Chinese "thing", that narrow sliver of "good family" pride, no matter how impoverished the odd tight spots between fortunes great or only modest had been.

I do watch for the cheap fares but they are seldom when I want to go. So I doubt that op is going to bring hubby to kong for dinner and a singsong girl, even if it was only the price of a Kennedy
    Great food can be amazingly inexpensive. Or world-class, still value for money, but serious value indeed, ergo priced accordingly.

Safest for tourists who don't have all their immunities up to par are the world-class hotels. The Island Shangri La, The Peninsula, The Mandarin Oriental, the JW Marriot, or the less-famous but still good Regal, Marco Polo / Prince / Gateway, etc.

But ... "sing song girl"? Cheaper you should fly to Russia.

(If you do go, make sure to try the drunken shrimp !)
    Pretty sure I've seen them cruising for trade Lan Quai Fong, Nathan Road, or Lockhart Road and more than once, but have managed to keep a safe distance.

The transient flesh trade is run by Field Grade Officers, People's Liberation Army, same as it is in Shanghai.

Telling them "not interested" can get downright humorous...

Telling a trolling "night lady" on the Bund to buzz-off, you have a CANTONESE wife can make them vanish at a rate well above faster than light space travel, Warp Nine.

Something about Cantonese food preparation skills seems to have seeped into pan-Chinese legend?

BTW .. you want a box for fine tools? Not all woodworks done in China, Korea, or Japan are ephemeral junque made of sawdust, rice-hulls, and panda-poop.

The good stuff can go hundreds of years and not split or crack. Or has done, so far, anyway.

14. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NMScott View Post
    Guys, thank you for coming to my aid so quickly! (Time was of the essence. His birthday is the 24th of this month, I'm working a freelance gig and juggling two sick kiddos - a toddler and an infant - at the moment...while also being sick.) The cards were not in my favor in terms of time for proper research and shipping time.

I love all of your suggestions and appreciate those who went into great detail about particular tools. Because he's also a forum guy and has a really quick trigger finger when it comes to online purchases, part of me had a feeling he has already ordered or has the tools that you all listed.

Seriously, there are packages arriving EVERY DAY. And, let's be honest, I'm almost positive that I couldn't point out a Blake co-axial indicator to save my life. I know he DOES have some of the items you guys already listed (since he'll occasionally have the time to show me something before running back into his workshop.)

Anyway, I ended up going with the 11-drawer Kennedy tool box (thank you for the drawer number suggestion, Larry!) and a copy of the Machinery's Handbook. (Thank you for the link, Pete!)

I have a feeling I'll be back here for our anniversary. In the meantime, I'll try to do some educating myself on all the various tools he has so I'm better prepared next round.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone!
    Great pick for the gifts. He will like them for sure.

I have 2 questions...Do you have a sister? and is she single? haha

Seriously though. You are smart enough to come here and get advice from the professionals. I cant stand when people spend money on me for things that are of lower quality than I would buy myself. Then I end up using sub par tools just to make someone feel good about getting me a gift. Its a waste of money and my time. You should see how many cheap Chinese broken tire compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter I have. They might as well be a 1 time use product as far as I am concerned.

I hope your feeling better and I am sure he will love these gifts.

16. Likes NMScott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    You should see how many cheap Chinese broken tire compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter I have. They might as well be a 1 time use product as far as I am concerned.
    Whose Asian ass do you have to kiss to GET "1 time use" out of those silly things?

This tribe still includes several that JF work. Faster, too. Even with no cigarette lighter socket. Fasten one to a square of plywood, even my 90-year old M'In Law can foot-stomp it without twisting an ankle. Go figure:

Amazon.com: High Pressure Air Foot Pump (100 PSI): Automotive

NMScott? He must really love you.

Only HALF the garage turned into a workshop?

MY wife will want to know your secret, given I have take both halves, the annex, game room, carport, back patio and one of two driveways arredy. Finally did get the spare 10EE spindle outta the dining room. Still have to get the TG-100's and some Bronze bushings outta the kitchen, though.

18. Likes DanASM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    Check out the Gerstner USA (not the "international" imports) oak or walnut boxes. They are highly regarded and desired, but maybe are too nice to use. Mine have been sitting empty in a storage room for decades. I have at least a dozen assorted Kennedy items and those are in daily use. So, decide on beauty or practicality.

Chests & Bases

Or maybe he would go for a gift card to Sweetwater Sound, Fort Wayne, IN, which is local to me and full of great stuff for musically inclined people of all sorts. The owner has done well and in turn supports music and musicians in many ways. Maybe a trip to Sweetwater would be a great gift. It is a cool place.

Sweetwater Sound - Wikipedia

Access to this page has been denied.

Larry
    You just solved a mystery for me, thanks! I was looking at the monthly Travers ads and saw the prices on the Gersteners were cheaper than the Kennedys. That explains it, they must be "globally sourced." I had no idea they weren't all US made.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You just solved a mystery for me, thanks! I was looking at the monthly Travers ads and saw the prices on the Gersteners were cheaper than the Kennedys. That explains it, they must be "globally sourced." I had no idea they weren't all US made.
    Been that way for quite a while. I think they have new owners (new meaning, not the people who started and built the company.) It's some kind of corporate subdivision now. Well hidden but if you dig ...

Takes a lot of the joy out of the things, doesn't it ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been that way for quite a while. I think they have new owners (new meaning, not the people who started and built the company.) It's some kind of corporate subdivision now. Well hidden but if you dig ...

Takes a lot of the joy out of the things, doesn't it ?
    Which one? Kennedy seems to still be US made for US market?

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0008060D:US

Gerstner "seems to be" even more "as they always were."

Company History

Looks as if.. anything they import WILL be decent value-for-money, not junque.

Better they do that QC so we don't have to worry as much as we might otherwise?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is hard to buy for a person’s hobby because one has choices about gear.
    Do you already have? A check off sheet have/need:
    Nice machinist box/chest
    Digital caliper.
    number/fraction /letter /metric/drill set.
    10x loop
    copy of How to Run a Lath
    machinist hand book.
    surface plate.
    surface gauge.
    dial or/and test indicator.
    indicator magnetic base.
    hand push cart.
    wall tool board.
    wall drill and tap chart
    drill press
    bench grinder
    Lathe gauges: fish gauge, thread pitch metric and imperial, wire set.
    Lathe boring bar set.
    surface grinder(yes this is a whole machine....so)
    bigger shop
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 01-18-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Six pack of a good IPA would make me happy.................my wife hates buying practical things for me as I just buy stuff when I need it(or many times, before I need it).

Gerstner tool boxes are overrated..............Kennedy's? Phhht..............nothing special...........just sold my 20 yr old toolbox and roller chest............sick of that worthless brown wrinkle finish...........always dirty and collectin' dust and grime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be very happy if my wife bought me one of these:
    JOBS
    Every machinist should have a five axis you can park your car on.

More practical is maybe one of these or the other variations out there from different places:
    machinist Search Results | Teespring
    Better yet maybe a added one for you too to wear showing pride and support for your machinist. That can mean and say a lot.

I think buying tools or tool boxes without the other half's feedback is hard to do no matter how well intended.
    The only Gerstner top I would consider is the 2610 Journeyman but it does not store a lot. It is nice to have but at 2K a lot of money and most the drawers are sort of small.
    Kennedy's bottoms and tops used to be the good go to and I have six of them along with risers and the in between boxes.
    Now Harbor Freight has just as good or maybe better.
    If my wife bought me a Kennedy bottom I'd of course be "thank you" but a also a tad disappointed but the opinion is biased as I already have some so one more is handy but not a big deal.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your wife is a true keeper!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy"

I realize that I'm a little late to the party and that you've already got some nice things for your husband, but I'd like to suggest the following book: "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" by Wayne Moore.

Here's the link: Publications at Moore Tool: Precision Machining Technology, Precision Tools

It's really quite a tome, and don't let the 1970 copyright fool you; much of the content is truly timeless, and if you believe that one's mind is really the *ultimate* tool ever, this is a wonderful addition to your "toolbox." The photographs make this a great "coffee table book" for those that aren't especially captivated by the written words about this interesting field.

I have given this book to friends and customers over the years and it has been universally well-liked, and on one occasion I "loaned" my copy to a friend who wouldn't return it! LOL

Cheers, Brian