What's new
What's new

In Search of Manual for Rubometric D 9/16 Die Head or Operating Instructions

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
I recently bought a Rubometric D 9/16 die head at auction. It appears to be in reasonably good operating condition. I wouldd like to find a PDF manual for it. When I do a search attempting to find a manual I find a few promising hits but so far I've only found dead links.

Rubometric D9-16.jpg

In particular, I'd like to find out how the thread depth is adjusted using the screws on the perimeter of the body of the head. In the attached photo, the screws that I referred to are the slotted one and the hex socket head screw just above it. There are identical screws on the opposite side of the head. Also, note the scale on the middle of the left side of the photo. How does one use that?

The manual trip lever (upper right) works but I expected that the part of the head holding the dies would pull out from the main bode and also trip the jaws open. Other threading heads that I've seen do that.

Any thoughts?

That is a German copy (with differences) of a Geometric D type die head. Geometric instructions will work for it. Geometric (or copies) 9/16 D chasers will work.

The lever on the back is a rough and finish control so that you can use two passes to cut threads. Lever toward you is roughing and lever to the back is finish.

The scale has a mark that indicates approximate zero with the lever in the finish position for a first try at pitch diameter when setting up a new set of chasers. The scale shows + and - from zero so you can see your adjustments as you turn the two hex socket head adjusting screws. Both set screws should be tight when you are done adjusting the pitch diameter.

I have never messed with the slotted head screws, but I think they are removed when taking the head apart.

Geometric manual: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/3911/21648.pdf

Larry

I succeeded in taking apart the Rubometric D 9/16, cleaning it, and reassembling it. It was gunked up pretty well and took quite a bit of force to expand the head to the trip point. It would have been easier with a parts diagram but it was fairly straightforward. and it is working well now.

I have a PDF scan of the Rubometric D manual and can email that to you if you still want it. Just PM me with an email address (PMs don't allow attachments).

Back