What's new
What's new

Secondary head mount on knee mill?

Jduke

Plastic
I have a new to me, old Lagun ft1 mill with the ring mount on the back of the ram for a secondary head.

It has me curious what if anything they can be used for?

It seems like a good place to mount some sort of extra head and just rotate around to use it.

Thanks
Duke

I have a new to me, old Lagun ft1 mill with the ring mount on the back of the ram for a secondary head.

It has me curious what if anything they can be used for?

It seems like a good place to mount some sort of extra head and just rotate around to use it.

Thanks
Duke

Sometimes similar mills mounted a shaper head there.

Seems like it might be a pretty good place to mount a home made Z axis if you were doing a cnc conversion.

Duke

Usually it’s a hanging point for a slotting head, I’ve one on the back of a Cincinnati, I’ve seen one with a high speed drill on the back too, that was cool too
Mark

On Bridgeports there were several accessories that could be mounted with the right adapter to the end boss on the ram. These included but were not limited to Shaper attachment, slotting head, cherrying head, M-head, L-head, and I've seen on Series 2 4HP mills versions that also had a 1-1/2 or 2 HP variable speed head on the end boss so the ram could be flipped around and uses as a Series 2 Special.

Years ago I went to look at a milling machine and ended up buying it. It was backed into corner and when we moved it out there was a giant boring head sitting in that hole. I asked if that was included and they said sure. It was a 6" flynn.

You could mount a high speed wood router and use it for cutting dadoes. Use a plunge router and get more possibilities. I have seen pictures of a router mounted on radial arm saws. in place of the motor.
Bill D

Back