What's new
What's new

Seeking advice on installing belts. 618 B&S surface grinder

SBLatheman

Titanium
Seeking advice on installing belts. 618 MASTER B&S surface grinder

I am trying to replace the spindle drive belts(O-rings) on a 618 Brown &Sharp surface grinder. There is no adjustment of these belts, you just stretch them over the pulleys.
But…the pulleys are on opposing shafts, so all 6 belts need to go on one pulley first, then get stretched to the other pulley. There is VERY little room to accomplish this.
Any advice is appropriated:)

Ted

Attachments

• 18C22C93-D54B-4459-811A-AB1549FED7D7.jpg
    18C22C93-D54B-4459-811A-AB1549FED7D7.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 43
You pretty much have to remove the motor, put the O-Rings on the spindle, carefully install the motor. At the same time stretch the belts to get the bolts started in the motor base!

My B & S 612 SG was set up the same way originally. Previous owner replaced the pulleys with flat belt pulleys and flat belt. When I got the grinder, could not find a replacement belt and the pulleys were loose and not balanced on the shafts worth a flip. Replaced with Poly-Groove pulleys and belt. Been working fine ever since.

Seeking advice on installing belts. 618 MASTER B&S surface grinder

I am trying to replace the spindle drive belts(O-rings) on a 618 Brown &Sharp surface grinder. There is no adjustment of these belts, you just stretch them over the pulleys.
But…the pulleys are on opposing shafts, so all 6 belts need to go on one pulley first, then get stretched to the other pulley. There is VERY little room to accomplish this.
Any advice is appropriated:)

Ted

I assume similar or identical to my B&S 510 SG. The process is pretty annoying... as I recall:

- give yourself access from the front, by either removing or at least releasing and sliding up/down the lower dust shields below the spindle.

- unbolt the motor but leave it in place, perhaps leave two front mounting screws loosely in place so the motor can tilt downwards somewhat.

- I think I put all the O-ring belts on the spindle first but pushed forward so they sort of fell off the front of the pulley

- then took the first one, moved it to the rear-most O ring groove on the spindle pulley and walked it onto the rear-most groove on the motor pulley, then repeat for all the other ones.

- then reinstall remaining motor mount bolts/screws etc.

There might be better ways but I didn't find one given the limited access.

I assume similar or identical to my B&S 510 SG. The process is pretty annoying... as I recall:

- give yourself access from the front, by either removing or at least releasing and sliding up/down the lower dust shields below the spindle.

- unbolt the motor but leave it in place, perhaps leave two front mounting screws loosely in place so the motor can tilt downwards somewhat.

- I think I put all the O-ring belts on the spindle first but pushed forward so they sort of fell off the front of the pulley

- then took the first one, moved it to the rear-most O ring groove on the spindle pulley and walked it onto the rear-most groove on the motor pulley, then repeat for all the other ones.

- then reinstall remaining motor mount bolts/screws etc.

There might be better ways but I didn't find one given the limited access.

I installed the belts today using your advice, mostly. My 70 year old hands are sore and cramping, but the job is done ! It looks easier than it really is. Annoying doesn’t describe it well enough. It’s a PITA
Thanks to all,
Ted

Back