What's new
What's new

Seeking Advice on lead screw repair in Rochester NY

apache1649

Plastic
Hey all, I'm brand new to machining and recently acquired a mill with a broken lead screw. Luckily, it's not broken in the threaded area. I've been looking around for a machine shop to repair it, but I don't know much about the shops in my area and I don't want to take it somewhere that's going to charge me way too much or do a poor job. Basically, I need the end of it cut off, a hole bored in it, then a new piece stuck in the hole and welded, then turned back down to size, and a key way cut in the new end. If anyone in the Rochester, NY area could point me to a good shop, or if anyone can give me a range of prices to expect to have the job done, that would be super helpful. Hope everyone is having a good day, thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this!

- Nick

I have done that repair about six times on Hardinge lathe feed screws. I silver braze the new part into the drilled hole in the old screw, which I think is a better choice than any sort of welding.

Be aware that the screw ends get broken during an accidental bending/dropping event, so the remaining end of the screw that goes through the support bearing will probably be bent. On my screws, I was able to straighten that portion of the screw before drilling the hole.

If done carefully, the repair will be as good as a new part.

Larry

DSC00129.jpg DSC00130cropped.jpg DSC00136.jpg

I have done that repair about six times on Hardinge lathe feed screws. I silver braze the new part into the drilled hole in the old screw, which I think is a better choice than any sort of welding.

Be aware that the screw ends get broken during an accidental bending/dropping event, so the remaining end of the screw that goes through the support bearing will probably be bent. On my screws, I was able to straighten that portion of the screw before drilling the hole.

If done carefully, the repair will be as good as a new part.

Larry

View attachment 318109 View attachment 318110 View attachment 318111

It was dropped (about ripped my cousin's throat out for that one) and it is bent right up to the support bearing. Luckily, it's not bent inside the bearing and I have plenty of un-threaded length behind the bearing, so I'm just going to have them cut it in the straight section and do the repair a little further from the end of the screw. Any idea what that job costs, roughly, at a shop? I don't have a lathe so I can't really do it myself. Not properly anyway.

Hey all, I'm brand new to machining and recently acquired a mill with a broken lead screw. Luckily, it's not broken in the threaded area. I've been looking around for a machine shop to repair it, but I don't know much about the shops in my area and I don't want to take it somewhere that's going to charge me way too much or do a poor job. Basically, I need the end of it cut off, a hole bored in it, then a new piece stuck in the hole and welded, then turned back down to size, and a key way cut in the new end. If anyone in the Rochester, NY area could point me to a good shop, or if anyone can give me a range of prices to expect to have the job done, that would be super helpful. Hope everyone is having a good day, thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this!

- Nick

I'm in Niagara Falls. If you can send both pcs to me, I can fix it for you. It's very similar to the stuff I do on my day job. Figure sending it in the mail is gonna be cheaper than the gas to drive to and from Rochester. I'm a pro welder/fabricator who happens to own a lathe.... could possible save the original end it looks like. All that it'll cost you is the shipping both ways, and waiting a bit.

Last edited:
Is this a standard Bridgeport or similar copy ?

1928 Brown and Sharpe No. 2 Horizontal

These guys do SERIOUS machine rebuilding in Rochester. Your job might be too small for them, but maybe they could recommend someone.

Machine Tool Research, Inc. | Machine Tool Rebuilders

Thanks for the tip

I'm in Niagara Falls. If you can send both pcs to me, I can fix it for you. It's very similar to the stuff I do on my day job. Figure sending it in the mail is gonna be cheaper than the gas to drive to and from Rochester. I'm a pro welder/fabricator who happens to own a lathe.... could possible save the original end it looks like. All that it'll cost you is the shipping both ways, and waiting a bit.

I'll DM you shortly

Send it with some tracking or use a courier. Mail around Western New York is having a little trouble right now.

The way to fix that is to weld on a new (oversize diameter) piece onto your screw, and remachine all the features on that end.

Salvaging the bent end is a total waste of time. Trying to weld a piece on straight is also a waste of time.

I'd charge between one and two hundred dollars.

Send it with some tracking or use a courier. Mail around Western New York is having a little trouble right now.

Yep, that's a good idea to use tracking in a mailing tube or something. Mail is indeed a bit flaky lately. I ordered something from Chicago a while back, it got as far as the Buffalo PO and they bumped it to.... Oklahoma! Three weeks later, my wrench arrived....

Yep, that's a good idea to use tracking in a mailing tube or something. Mail is indeed a bit flaky lately. I ordered something from Chicago a while back, it got as far as the Buffalo PO and they bumped it to.... Oklahoma! Three weeks later, my wrench arrived....
I didn't think youd mind me borrowing it...

Sent via CNC 88HS

Back