What's new
What's new

Seeking help locating replacement part

mediocremaker

Plastic
Hi All,

I am in need of help finding a replacement part for a Boyar-Schultz Challenger 2A (6-18 Hydraulic Surface Grinder). Specifically; the Oiler on the side of the machine's reservoir has broken and I cant find any discernible markings on the oiler to know its make/model # other than it looks like it may be the original oiler for the machine. Any help in locating a new reservoir or suggestion on replacement part in general. Ideally just replacing the reservoir is the most cost effective method (no point replacing a working pump if all it needs is a oil reservoir.) See attached photos of the oil pump in question.

Thanks guys!

2020-07-02 20.16.39.jpg

2020-07-02 20.16.47.jpg

2020-07-02 20.16.55.jpg

Can't help you with the reservoir, but I once worked in a place that had one of these. The pump motor worked quite a lot better once the aluminum "lid" was taken off.

I'm guessing that's a generic China-made oil pump, and that the missing piece is a clear cup that would fit on the bottom of the lower section with the label?

If that's correct, take measurements of the profile the reservoir needs, then search for a foot storage container (like Tupperware) that would function acceptably. If need be, add bosses using a hot glue gun for attachment, or make a frame using an 1/8" aluminum plate to be a snug fit around the reservoir, then have screws going through the frame and up into the housing or to a top piece that then sandwiches the entire pump assembly.

Be sure not to foul any of the pump mechanisms, and ensure the pump properly functions when you're done. For that matter, you should confirm that all the lines are clear and receiving oil as needed.

The reservoir is the round-cornered aluminum box? Leaks? Can you plug the leak, with that fancy aluminum brazing stuff they are advertising all over the 'Net....or two steel washers, two rubber washers, and a bolt? Can you weld six plates together and put up with sharp corners?

I have a similar grinder, but it lives away from home at the moment. Next visit I'll look for info.

In the meantime, can you do a Por15-type re-line, like they do for motorcycle gas tanks? JB Weld first, then line.

I have a similar grinder. Mine came with what looks to be the same oiler, with a cracked reservoir. I ended up using a plastic food container, sold to hold leftovers or items for freezing. It fit perfectly. Measured about 4" deep to clear the oil pickup, and maybe 3 1/2" square if my memory is still working.
John
p/s
And read the rules about titles when posting.

Back