What's new
What's new

Seeking information about Schaublin ES32 collets

Georgineer

Stainless
I want to equip my lathe with a collet chuck and have recently acquired a number of Schaublin ES32 collets, unused and still in their original boxes. I haven't done any precise measurements (they're not easy things to measure) but from the dimensions given in Rego-fix data sheets they appear to be identical to ER32 except that they don't have the extractor groove.

I plan to make my own chuck to fit the Myford spindle nose. Obviously the ER32 nut cannot be used directly because of its extractor detail, but I can see two possible ways forward. One is to make my own nut and use some other sort of extractor (a tapered fork or some sort of compressor ring comes to mind) and the other is to grind an extractor groove into the collets and convert them to ER32 specification. The Rego-fix data sheets don't give tolerances, but I imagine that they would not be very exacting. I mostly make one-offs and small batches, so speed in changing collets is not an issue.

I wonder if anybody here has any knowledge and experience of these collets and how they were originally used and extracted. There is almost nothing to be found about ES30 on the internet. Any information or suggestions will be welcome.

I suppose that a third approach would be to get rid of the ES30 collets and buy ER32 instead, but I'm reluctant to give up on good quality collets and launch into the murky waters of what's good and what isn't from the stuff available on the internet. Incidentally, there are far more collets here than I shall ever need or use, ranging from 3 mm to 20 mm, so if anybody has a use for ES32 collets I'm happy to trade.

George

Last edited:
I have E-25 collets that came with a lathe head. Back in the day, Volstro used the same or similar collet in their rotary milling heads. They did not have the extractor groove. I made R-8 holders for the mill and use them w/o the groove. In order to use them in standard ER-25 CAT-40 tools, I had to machine the grooves. I didnt grind them, instead made a fixture and cut them in the lathe. Since the working range of these is fairly large, the groove may need to be adjusted so the the extractor rib clears the compressed collet. If you only use standard sizes[equal to the collet bore], you don't need much groove width. It depends on which type you have: some have fewer cuts, less than 16. Those have very little bore range, basically made to hold only one size, +/-.0005. The ones with 16 cuts have a ~1mm range and may need a wider groove to permit the full range of use.
They hold very well and have very little run out.
I have a nose chuck that fits the original ungrooved collets. I believe the 'method' for extraction was to loosen the nut slighty and give it a good rap to break the collet free. I can take some measurments if you need. From that you can design something to fit your app.
Hope this helps! JinNJ

Back