What's new
What's new

Seized Kellogg 331 compressor head- what to do?

richard newman

Titanium
My old Kelloggs 331 5hp compressor is seized up. I've had if for over 30 yrs, with no problems, til I moved into a new shop 5 yrs ago and things go a bit out of control. Neglected to keep oil level up, and it seized about a year ago. Took the head off and was able to get the pistons moving again, cylinders looked fine. I flushed it and filled with compressor oil, it ran and sounded fine. Then I came in one morning a week ago and it was seized again. Oil level was correct.

Wondering if it might be connecting rod or crank bearings that are seized. Never had it apart, not sure the best way to proceed, any suggestions?

Either it became a grenade inside or its something repairable- if it destroyed a bearing its probably toast- if a piston seized up and galled there might be hope. Just take it apart and see what happened, but you probably already know this.

One question though- why do you leave it on when apparently no one is in the shop? That seems to me to be a bigger question but. . . . do you leave all your machines on?

I really should put a timer switch on the wall for my compressor. Turn it and it stays on for 8 hours then turns off by itself. I just have the control wiring to figure out.
Bill D

I really should put a timer switch on the wall for my compressor. Turn it and it stays on for 8 hours then turns off by itself. I just have the control wiring to figure out.
Bill D

I'll bet you don't punch a time clock anymore, so
the timer will end up being wrong half of the time.

Simply wire it the light switch for the shop.

Wait - you all turn your compressors off?? I just shut the ball valve at the compressor - it doesn't leak, so it uses no air, so the compressor doesn't come on. Been working for me just fine for quite a while now ....

Wait - you all turn your compressors off?? I just shut the ball valve at the compressor - it doesn't leak, so it uses no air, so the compressor doesn't come on. Been working for me just fine for quite a while now ....

I've seen too many failure modes to ever leave one turned on.

There are still a number of parts available for the older Kellogg compressors. Once you determine what you need look at the Compressedair website:

Kellogg American Air Compressor Parts & Kits

There are a number of parts available for the 331.

They still have some parts available for my 1965 era 311 compressor. In the scheme of things it was the smallest 2 stage compressor Kellogg built and consequently one of the least popular. I have purchased tune-up parts, filters and other parts over the years to keep it running. Their prices aren't out of line and they are easy to deal with.

Back